Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Slow cooker/Crock pot recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    When I see a beef dish that sounds good I just switch it out for ground turkey. I have a meat grinder for my Kitchen Aid to do chicken, but I hate cleaning it. lol I saw a chef the other day just grind it down in a food chopper. Just a few tricks to remember.
    Thanks Hulamoon. I've done that with some dishes (ground turkey meatloaf is delicious and so are turkey meatballs!) I'm not a vegeterian or a vegan but I don't eat as much poultry as I used to.

You just reminded me of the old food grinders. Do you know what I mean? My grandmother had one in the kitchen and it attached to the counter. She used it fairly often. You made me think of that for some reason when you mentioned grinding the meat.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if I've already posted this recipe but here goes. I make pulled pork in my crockpot. If I'm making it for a particular day I will cook it the day before, let it cool down and refrigerate in the crockpot. The next day I skim off the excess fat (easier after it has become cold). I put it back on for a couple of hours until it is good and hot. Here is the recipe:

SLOW COOKER PULLED PORK

1 (6 -8 lb.) pork butt roast (bone-in)
    1 onion, chopped, fine
    2 cups low-sodium chicken broth (original recipe said you could use broth or water)
    Lantana seasoning (or your seasoning of choice)
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    3 tablespoons Liquid Smoke
    Salt and pepper
    • Sprinkle Lantana seasoning over roast and place on top of onion.
    • Add broth, cover and cook on low until very tender. (I cooked for 9 or 10 hours)
    • Remove meat and let cool.

• When cool enough to handle, remove bone and use two forks to pull meat into thin shreds, removing fat & gristle. (I also do a quick chop, chop to the meat)
    • Skim excess fat from liquid in slow cooker.
    • Return pulled pork to slow cooker.
    • In a small bowl mix together the BBQ sauce, mustard, honey, soy sauce, Liquid Smoke (optional) and salt & pepper.
    • Cook for 1 hour longer on low.
    • Drain the liquid from the pork. I used a ladle and removed the liquid by pressing down until I got the majority removed.
    •Serve on King Hawaiian rolls, hamburger buns or other small rolls.
    Gerri

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I made this Mongolian beef recipe. Next time I'll add half a thinly sliced onion or more as it was tasty, but not how I remember Mongolian beef from the restaurants I've ordered it. We couldn't find flank steak so we substituted eye of round.

https://therecipecritic.com/2015/08/...ongolian-beef/

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I just discovered this tomato basil soup recipe and wanted to share it here. I haven't made it yet. It is a crockpot recipe but you also cook the tomatoes in the oven before putting them in the crockpot. So I'll try this soup when the weather cools (I'm in FL so that might be a while.) It's extra work but I like that the ingredients are fresh. I'll likely omit the butter and parm chips since I avoid dairy.

This would be nice with a fresh salad and nice fresh bread.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/crock-po...aleo-friendly/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze Quilter View Post
    I just discovered this tomato basil soup recipe and wanted to share it here. I haven't made it yet. It is a crockpot recipe but you also cook the tomatoes in the oven before putting them in the crockpot. So I'll try this soup when the weather cools (I'm in FL so that might be a while.) It's extra work but I like that the ingredients are fresh. I'll likely omit the butter and parm chips since I avoid dairy.

That sounds so yummy! I'm going to try it!

As a side note I have taken canned whole tomatoes, drained them and then roasted them. I forgot what I was making, but they came out really good. It does work.

Lorie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    That sounds so yummy! I'm going to try it!

As a side note I have taken canned whole tomatoes, drained them and then roasted them. I forgot what I was making, but they came out really good. It does work.
    Let me know what you think if you make it before I do. The tomatoes look delicious when they are roasted. I like how thick this soup looks too.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze Quilter View Post

I made this soup yesterday and it was really really good! I used Jersey tomatoes: which for those who do not know, are the Best tomatoes every Summer! It's one of the rare Good things about living in New Jersey! lol The recipe as is only calls for 2 lbs of tomatoes and makes only 4 servings. Next time, I will make a big batch and freeze some of it.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina