Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spring Snow in Colorado

It snowed most of the day yesterday. Fortunately, we got only ~3" here, but other towns got 5-12", and the foothills & mts. really got walloped. I didn't know till today that they gave this Winter Storm the name of "Valerie." Parts of MT, WY, & CO were affected. It was reported this was the heaviest late spring snow to hit WY in 74 yrs. Estes Park, which is the gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park, got 25"-36" & roads into the Park were closed. Allenspark (a small town in the foothills) and the Ward/Jamestown areas got 42". Nederland, just up the canyon from Boulder, got 30". Golden, W. of Denver, got 30.5". These pics were taken ~noon yest. before more snow fell the rest of the day. Fortunately, the snow wasn't heavy enough here to damage trees, although some of the neighbor's tree limbs were bowed low. Ft. Collins (7.5") is cleaning up from broken limbs & tree damage. The 10 p.m. news last night reported the National Guard was on standby for rescuing stranded motorists. They have vehicles with tracks that can go where a car or truck can't. Some of the secondary roads were drifted shut. The wet snow was so heavy it was almost like concrete. It really was packed full of moisture. I cleared my patio & the front walks with the push broom, rather than try to lift it in a snow shovel.

It was snowing when we got up this a.m., but it has quit. We actually saw the sun for a brief time. The snow quickly is melting. My perennials, which were bowed low to the ground yest., are rebounding & springing up again. I have some Russian Iris that are budded & ready to bloom. Primroses & other perennials are hardy. I haven't bought any annuals yet. I think I'll wait till the first part of June. There is a freeze warning for tonight. What crazy weather. My son in the D.C. area is having 90 deg. They just had an A/C unit installed in their upstairs BR where they didn't have adequate cooling from their house system. I guess snow is better than tornadoes. I hope those of you in the Midwest are staying safe.

It's supposed to be back up into the 70's next week! Go figure!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	May 18 Snow - 2017 001.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	162.1 KB 
ID:	143067Click image for larger version. 

Name:	May 18 Snow - 2017 002.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	143068

There are some impressive pics of the deep snow on some of the Denver TV channel web sites if one is interested in looking.

2. Thanks sewbizzy, Anna Leigh thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spring Snow in Colorado

Can you please keep it there?
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly really would like to spend my winters in Florida or any place else that is warm !
    Nice photos JCY.....but I would love to see some sunny weather here for more than a couple of days at a time !
    Name:  1386-0812-1816-2810.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  2.1 KB

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful pictures! Happy if I don't see anything like it for many....many .....many months.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We just had our first heat wave of the season and you have snow crazy weather.
    Joan