Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default speaking of gray hair...again!

I have mostly gray hair mixed in with my natural medium brown. I do not want to color it. I am 65 and colornig is a hassle and an expense. Unlike some of you, no one has ever mentioned that the gray/brown looks good.
    One hair dresser suggested low lights. I googled highlights and lowlights but I am still confused and not sure if I should go with lowlights. Can anyone give me some information on this? My have pale skin with rosacea on the T-zone and my hair is short, coarse and thick ( if that makes a difference). I've noticed that the gray strands are the ones that fall out...a lot!
    Look forward to your input.
    Last edited by sew-what2015; May 19th, 2017 at 12:38 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: speaking of gray hair...again!

I have dk brown and grey hair, have no intention of doing anything but keeping it cut neat. Both my mom and dad had nearly pure white/silver hair by my age so I do hope that mine will eventually do the same. My brother's hair is silver like dad's, mine is maybe 1/2 way, sister's would be but she chooses to color hers. Personally I won't do lowlights or anything else due to cost/time etc. They do blend in your shades so the grey isn't as noticeable but I know me, and I would never keep up with it. If you are unhappy with your hair then by all means look into it but please don't be pressured by what others think you should do
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had low lights done one time. I used to have my step dd help me with those hats you put on and pull strands out to highlight. We did it a few times until the last time, she says auntie this seems wrong, it's watery. The dye seeped in and made blotches all over my head. I went to the hairdresser and she dyed it all one color and then put the low lights in to make it look more natural.

That was the last time I colored my hair.

Lorie

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what the point of lowlights would be - they would darken your hair and make the gray new growth even more noticeable (I would think). If you don't want to color your hair, definitely don't - my advice is to invest in a good, flattering hair cut and pay attention to your styling, and don't add the hassle of keeping up with coloring.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you do not want to color your grey hair please do not be pressured into it. It is your choice. Do what makes you happy.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

So agree with everyone. For several years I dyed my hair - until the last time when the roots turned out PINK! The beautician offered to have me come back and she would re-do it - but the time alone (3 hours) was not worth it! I just let it grow out (which seems like forever). Now I have white/silver hair that I love! My Mom had the same beautiful white/silver coloring. I had my first gray hair (found when getting a perm when I was seven) - I guess it was inevitable for the gray/white/silver hair to come!

Do with you hair what you feel most comfortable! Everyone one has their own comfort zone.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieF View Post
    I'm not sure what the point of lowlights would be - they would darken your hair and make the gray new growth even more noticeable
    It's possible the roots wouldn't be more noticeable if she used the balayage method, where the new color doesn't start at the roots. That's how my stylist does my highlights. (My root problem is because I get all the grays covered with brown.)

Regarding balayage: Years ago, my daughter (high school age) had highlights put in her hair shoulder length hair. She hated it, because you could see the line as her hair grew out. To fix that, she had to either get more highlights (which if continually repeated would essentially change the color of her hair) or get all her hair dyed close to her natural color. She chose the latter method and swore she'd never get highlights again. Fast forward to a few weeks ago. She went to a stylist (in France) who suggested she get highlights using the balayage method. She did it and seems quite happy.

Because the color/high-light doesn't start at the root, and gets stronger as it goes down the hair, it always just looks like the lower portion of your hair has more highlights. It's apparently all the rage in hollywood now. If you google it, you'll find a lot of images.

That's why my stylist uses balayage on my highlights -- because when we touch up the roots with the brown, the line of highlight isn't noticeable.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your comments. I still haven't decided about the low lights. I asked my DH and he says do whatever makes you feel comfortable.