Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Speaking of Gray Hair . . . A question . . .

Today I turned 69! I let my hair go grey at 60. My son in-law suggested I'd look better with color! So at 64 I got light blond coloring for my dark brown and very grey hair. It looks like highlight because it really only colors the grey and lightened a little of the brown. I feel better. I only have to do it maybe 4 times a year. Of course mostly I wear a chef hat. Lol. I use a light foundation and blush to ease the tired look of age. If I don't, my pale skin gets comments like how tired I look or am I okay!

2. Thanks kaydee thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am 63 and stopped highlighting my medium brown hair about two years ago. It's now pretty much salt and pepper. I loved the highlights but did two colors, and where I live that translates into $75 for each color + $25 for cut + $20 tip, so about $200! I decided that was just too expensive. I don't mind the grey so much as the change in texture with the gray. No matter what I try my hair always seems dry, frizzy and kind of wiry. It is chin length and thick.

4. Thanks kaydee thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

I am naturally a very light blonde. I do have gray hair, but it just doesn't show very much. I have recently started getting some high lights and low lights put in....as it grows out it isn't very not noticeable. Just brightens it up a bit.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

6. Thanks kaydee thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I am 68 and stopped coloring my hair when I retired. It is silver white and I love it, I don't wear make up except on very rare occasions (maybe a wedding) and I love that too. I cleanse, moisturize, sunscreen and I am good to go.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My natural color is red. For the most part redheads don't gray well....we get a dingy yellowish gray that all the purple shampoo in the world won't brighten. The past few years I've been coloring my hair my base color (ginger red) and have a few highlights put in a couple times a year. I wish I could go with my natural color.

9. Thanks kaydee, quiltingaway thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    Today I turned 69! I let my hair go grey at 60. My son in-law suggested I'd look better with color! So at 64 I got light blond coloring for my dark brown and very grey hair. It looks like highlight because it really only colors the grey and lightened a little of the brown. I feel better. I only have to do it maybe 4 times a year. Of course mostly I wear a chef hat. Lol. I use a light foundation and blush to ease the tired look of age. If I don't, my pale skin gets comments like how tired I look or am I okay!
    Well Happy Birthday! So sorry this is late, but I just saw it. Hope is was great!

Attachment 143039

11. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Me too with the no make-up! It's great to have the freedom to NOT wear make-up and not color our hair if that's what we choose.

13. Thanks kaydee thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hopehannah View Post
    Me too with the no make-up! It's great to have the freedom to NOT wear make-up and not color our hair if that's what we choose.
    I agree and i frees so much time for sewing by NOT having to put on a face and color hair. LOL Never been a smoker or a drinker or a sun worshipper so the wrinkles are barely there for me. gravity that's a different story
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

15. Thanks kaydee thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've got 'side greys' now. Started probably about 5 years ago and gradually increasing (I'm soon to be 52). I've watched some friends color theirs and try to maintain.... nope, not for me!
    I used to get a boxed dye once in a while just for a slight change in color. My hair is long, so it would cost a fortune to have it done professionally.
    So, I am EMBRACING THE GREY... my husband loves me either way - he says 'if you want to color it, go ahead, but I like it the way it is, it's up to you'... I'd rather spend my money elsewhere - like sewing stuff
    Make-up? I do throw a little eyeliner and lipstick on for church or a special outing. That's about it... going to the park or grocery shopping??? No way! LOL

17. Thanks SallyO'Sews, kaydee thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This reminded me of two women on TV shows. Carla Hall on the Chew is letting her hair go grey. Alicia Keys stopped wearing makeup. Both women look great!

Lorie

19. Thanks SallyO'Sews, kaydee thanked for this post