Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Speaking of Gray Hair . . . A question . . .

Like SallyO's daughter, I started going gray very early. I always thought if my kids could talk when they were first born, their first words upon seeing me would have been, "Hi Gramma, where's Mom?"

I've been getting it professionally colored the last few years (now that I can afford it), but am getting tired of dealing with the roots between colorings, and spending all the $$$ on coloring. My hair grows really fast, so the roots are a real PITA. I've tried coloring it myself in the past, but don't like the flat look of no highlights.

So I'm wondering, at what age did you (or do you plan to) let your hair just go gray? And do you think it aged you? Thanks!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Speaking of Gray Hair . . . A question . . .

I have never colored nor do I ever plan to color my hair. I'm 60. I earned every grey hair and am not about to make it disappear!

3. Thanks songbird857, auntiemern, kaydee thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 60 and I've never dyed my hair to cover the gray. (I have dark brown hair.) In my 20s, I dyed it red, and for about 4 years (up until a year or so ago), I had a chunk in the front that I had bleached out and used various Manic Panic colors like purple, green, and blue. My hair is salt and pepper now and I like it. Does it age me? Don't know, don't care.

5. Thanks songbird857, kaydee thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Star lover View Post
    I have never colored nor do I ever plan to color my hair. I'm 60. I earned every grey hair and am not about to make it disappear!
    Fist pump!

7. Thanks songbird857, auntiemern thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I will be 57 in June I started graying probably 20 years ago not too sure as I have colored my hair since age 16. 2 years ago I said to hubby new years resolution stop coloring my hair. He did not approve and wishes I would o back to coloring it. But I never will. I have had so many people tell me it is such a pretty shade of silvery gray. Just don't have the time to color every 2 weeks as I am almost totally gray and roots appear so quick. I also never got into the rut of makeup and not going out before my *face* was on. I wear a small amount of makeup for special occasions that's it and rare. Au Naturale here.
    Last edited by Iris Girl; May 18th, 2017 at 07:10 PM.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

9. Thanks SallyO'Sews, songbird857, auntiemern, kaydee thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was born with bleach blonde hair. It starting going brown and I did high lights. Every hairdresser said you don't have grey hairs? lol I don't keep up with it anymore and I don't wear makeup, so I guess I'm going natural.

Lorie

11. Thanks songbird857, kaydee thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it's just great minds like ours, but it's funny how many of you don't dye hair, don't wear makeup. I'm in this club. I do put some blush on ( what hair that has color is dark brown and I'm fair) that's about it. Maybe a bit more, if I was attending a special occasion. But guess I'm more naturale than not.....and really, I just don't care, it's too much work.

13. Thanks songbird857, kaydee thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I started going grey in my early twenties and dyed my hair with highlights until my late forties. It took almost two full years for it to grow out naturally since I wear my hair shoulder length. It looked really strange while it was growing out. My husband pleaded with me not to get a pixie cut while it was growing out. He loves long hair. I think it looks better with its natural color even with all the grey in it.

Does the gray hair age me? To be honest yes it does. But not as bad as all the wrinkles do. And there is nothing to be done about the wrinkles.

So there you go.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

15. Thanks songbird857, kaydee thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

No color here either. I've earned each and every one of those grey hairs and I intend to flaunt them for the badge of honor they are. Does it age me? I'm 70 for petes sake. What doesn't?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When my mother was in her thirties, I remember she had this grey patch in the front just above her temple, and I thought it was really cool and couldn't wait until I got my "skunk stripe". Well as it turns out Mom had black hair and I had blonde, It wasn't unitl my 20s that my blonde hair started darkening, so I did bleach my hair trying to keep it light, but then I realized my "skunk stripe" was coming in, but as long as I bleached my hair, it wasn't visible, so I stopped when I was about 30. My hair is now a light brown, with quite a few grey hairs scattered around, and if you look closely, I have mom's grey patch! I earned every one of those grey hairs, and I wear them proudly!

18. Thanks songbird857, kaydee thanked for this post