Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Starch of Choice?

I mostly use Best Press. I bought a gallon on Amazon over a year ago. Cheaper than using a coupon at Joanns. but sometimes you just need a little starch.

When I mist the fabric with Faultless, nothing happens until I press. Then it's all good.
    Then I ran out, and the next time I went grocery shopping, and thinking they were all the same, I picked up some Niagara.
    As soon as I mist the fabric with the Niagara, it imediately puckered up. Then I pressed it, and it seem to stick to the iron and not slide well. I don't move the iron much, but it should glide like it did when I used Faultless.

There were no other variables. Same iron, same fabric, same temperature, and everything. I won't even wait til I use the can up. It's going in the trash.

Anyone else have a simular experiance?

2. Thanks Marconi thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Starch of Choice?

Faultless user here too and I also have not had good experiences with Niagara. Maybe it's the "hard" water here that doesn't do well. On some garments I use steam and starch and niagara just doesn't seem to play well at all with my iron.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I love Best Press but I use so much of it that it's not affordable in my retirement. I bought 2 quart jugs of Stay Flo at Walmart. I mix equal parts of the starch and water in an empty Best Press bottle. I spray the "pretty"side of my fabric and walk away from it until it it's mostly dry (I'm a heavy sprayer). I then flip the fabric over and iron the side I didn't spray. I don't use the spray cans of starch, they make me sneeze and I get a headache.

5. Thanks Midge thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use Blondie's recipe for starch. Works well for me.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Applique Angel

St Joseph, Missouri - about 50 min from M*.
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer Faultless but I have used Niagara when I can't find Faultless. I spray one side of the fabric and then turn it over and iron from the other side. It keeps iron from picking up starch build up, and keeps fabric from 'puckering' as I iron it. I think the puckering happens when my iron picks up a little starch buildup and drags it across the fabric. Haven't had the problem since I started spraying one side And ironing the other side. The other thing is that by ironing from other side of sprayed side, I don't get any flaking. Not sure why but big difference.

I've used Best Press, but it is expensive compared to starch, and starch works as well if not better, and I don't have to worry about interaction with my fabric marking. And I can find it in every grocery, hardware store, and dollar general, so I moved from best press back to my grandmother's choice - starch. Preferably Faultless.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I use the stay flo from Walmart also. If it is pre-cuts I spray it on, if if it is yardage then I prefer to wash wash then soak the fabric and hang to dry.

I find the spray can products do not give me as much starchiness I like, though I will admit I missed up my dilution a couple timesand after fabric is dry I go to the line to bring it in and it stiff like a board, but still works great, lol.
    Have a blessed day
    Pam[/I]
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious -- What are you starching and why?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Best Press - mostly for the fragrance, although when pressing a finished block, it's great. But I agree, very expensive. Flatter is even better, but even more pricy. As I use up the bottles I have I am saving them and going to get the gallon refill size from amazon someday. But mostly I use Sta Flo concentrate in the jug and mix my own. Although, around me many grocery stores and Target no longer carry it. I did find it at Home Depot! I buy multiple jugs of it (so inexpensive) when I do find it because they keep seemingly forever. Technique I learned as a little girl still stands as the best. Spray your fabric on the wrong side with starch and roll/fold it up and put it aside for a while so the starch sinks in the fibers. Then iron on the right side. Or vice versa, your choice. When you coat the bottom of the iron with a lot of starch it just means you didn't let it sink in sufficiently, so you are picking up the liquid starch on the soleplate.

To answer hopehannah, I like to work with starched fabrics for accurate piecing and less stretch. Especially with curved piecing, or a lot of bias.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post
    Technique I learned as a little girl still stands as the best. Spray your fabric on the wrong side with starch and roll/fold it up and put it aside for a while so the starch sinks in the fibers. Then iron on the right side. Or vice versa, your choice. When you coat the bottom of the iron with a lot of starch it just means you didn't let it sink in sufficiently, so you are picking up the liquid starch on the soleplate.
    Ohmygosh!!! So that's why my iron gets coated with starch!!! I remember NOW that my mother used to starch one day, roll the clothes and put them in a bag to be stored in the refrigerator overnight when she would iron the next day. That was such a Duh-Theda moment for me. She never said why and probably thought I just knew. Thanks for posting and the memory.

I like Best Press too but do not buy it due to price. I also buy the Sta-Flo from Wal-Mart and really have grown to love it except for my above-mentioned problem that is now solved. I keep a small bottle of Best Press in my tote for traveling and will replace the contents with Sta-Flo when empty.
    Theda

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Smurf Machine" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
    "Daisy Rae" - Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2.

12. Thanks mommadeb thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hopehannah View Post
    Just curious -- What are you starching and why?

My Remnant Quilt with tiny pieces. I needed them to hold still just to cut and sew them. They weren't new fabric. They were leftovers, from everywhere - some of them washed.