Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking forward to the weekend

Morning all,

I am so relieved it's Friday. It's been one of those weeks - the oven decided that it has worked long enough and quit heating. I called a repairman and the cost to fix it was 2/3 the cost of a new one so ordered a new stove. Unfortunately, it will be another week before it gets here. We'll be doing a lot of grilling.

Next, my car developed some sort of short and blew out my lights. That was the easiest to fix but it took 3 days to get a spot at the mechanics.

Then a pipe sprung a leak in the basement. It was a spray type leak, not a burst. But it was located over our brand new, 2 week old furnace. I didn't know we had the leak until the AC stopped working. I called the AC guy because the unit is brand new and when he was investigating, he found it. The leak had flooded the drip pan and the unit turned itself off. So we called an emergency plumber who was here for 3 hours fixing it last night. On the way out the door, he told us that the hot water heater is about to go so he'll see us soon. His quoted price for a hot water install - $1600! I told him I bought the last one for $400-500. He said they gone up in the 10 yrs. since then. That's not 'gone up' - that's an explosion!

I'm hoping for a nice, quiet, uneventful day today. I really need some time at my sewing machine.
    Cindy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking forward to the weekend

You need a break from the breakage monster.
    I too was shocked at the price of a new water heater, was told it was because of all the new federal regulations for energy efficiency of the units and that many homes required more than a simple replacement, the entire unit needed to be moved a bit to allow the added size.
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Cindy...Sorry for all of your breakdowns...they really do seem to come in 3's, don't they. Find yourself a different plumber. We buy water heaters all the time and they aren't $1600 or even close to that. Try to have a good weekend. ((HUGS))

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Cindy, why do these things seem to happen all at once?...you really need some relaxation...
    Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my, sure hope things go better from here on out...you sure do deserve it! Sewing soothes the soul, so enjoy!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Bad things happen in threes they say so hopefully you are done!! Have a great weekend!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys. I had a totally uneventful day. Nothing broke, shorted out, or flooded. It feels terrific!
    Cindy

8. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You certainly have had a horrible no good week! I'm hoping my hot water heater never breaks down - that's so much to pay for!

Glad today was uneventful. Hope the weekend continues the trend as well.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Cindy, I hope things are looking brighter now. Sorry about the mishaps. Yes, I heard about how the prices of HWHs have gone up due to regulations. One person told me $2,000. Another said less than that. I think it depends on the company. We're not replacing ours until it actually springs a leak. I know it's >10 y.o. I think our last HWH lasted ~14 yrs. Our furnace might need to be replaced in the next few years. So far, so good. We bought it new since we've lived here, but we've lived in this house 38 yrs. Our house is 45 y.o. We do not have central A/C. We'd have to pay big $ to have another elec. line put in -- new box, etc. & wires snaked through the ceilings, probable repair to the sheet rock, etc. Our bsmt. is finished. So far we're getting along with our swamp cooler & room fans as needed. We just replaced our 43 y.o. elec. dryer. I haven't even used it yet.