Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Foundation piecing-when should I take of the paper?

I've got almost 58 squares ready for a string quilt made all of scraps. I'm undecided about taking off the paper. I think leaving it until after the squares are sewn together into the quilt top would be good because I wouldn't stretch any of the edges or chance ripping apart any seams. But, leaving the paper in might be more difficult to remove when the quilt is all togeher & there are seam allowances around every square. If I have explained this in an understandable way I welcome any thought. Thank you.

2. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Foundation piecing-when should I take of the paper?

I take mine off before sewing the blocks together. You're right. It's harder to get the paper off after they're sewn together.

4. Thanks Stacie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I take the paper off - and then iron with Best Press to make sure it doesn't stretch out of shape. Then measure to make sure it's still square and put it in a pile to sew together. Sometime they go on the design wall ... sometime it just a random placement.

6. Thanks Stacie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I usually remove the papers before I sew them together. If you score the paper with a pin or crease the paper and remove it gently, you shouldn't get much stretching. Be gentle and tear carefully, especially at the edges so your threads don't loosen.

If you leave the papers on, you better have a really good pair of tweezers to remove the papers that will be caught in your seam intersections! I tried leaving the papers on once and I spent more time & energy getting those stinkin little pieces out. I swore that I would never do that again! My pirate language climbed to a new high with that experience.
    Last edited by Sharyn J; May 12th, 2017 at 03:37 AM.

8. Thanks Stacie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I sew block together with the paper on and than tear off the paper at the seam allowance. Before sewing the rows together I just tear off a bit of the paper at the crossing area, but leave the rest of the paper covering the seam allowance for precise seams.
    I always make sure, that I do not have any paper under overlapping seam allowances and pull just this little area away. that keeps everything stable, but easy to tear away after the top is finished.
    I hope I explained it well and it is from help

10. Thanks Stacie, DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you have challenges with taking the paper off and maybe causing breaks in your stitching and are concerned about distortion, use a water in a spray bottle. Just spritz it lightly and it softens the paper just enough to make it easier to get off. I find that it works well.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

12. Thanks Stacie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do exactly what Renate said. It works for me.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

14. Thanks Stacie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Why not just use a thin muslin for the foundation and leave it in? When I was a teen, I helped make several scrappy quilts with my Aunt and Grandmother. They took old cotton sheets and cut them into squares, then kept sewing on scraps until the square was filled. Trimmed then sewed together to make scrappy quilts. I still have one of them.
    Vonnie

16. Thanks Stacie thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

The last one of these that I did was a challenge, but I left the paper on. This did assure that it went together well, but it was a pain to get the paper off. I did not get overly worried about tiny little pieces left on - not enough hours in the day. the blocks were all made by middle school kids so required a lot of fixing on my part. The first one I made on my own, the paper came off first, but I did struggle with a lot of wavy-ness - but it all worked out although it was a small quilt. I suggest that you put together 2 rows with the paper on - then take it off. You can then make the best decision for you.

18. Thanks Stacie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

If I am doing paper piecing with a ton of little pieces I tend to leave the paper on and do what Renate says. If a string quilt or something with less seams and bigger pieces of fabric I remove it and starch the heck out of it.
    Debbie

20. Thanks Stacie thanked for this post