Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Applique Angel

St Joseph, Missouri - about 50 min from M*.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to say NO when asked........

I had done an emergency zipper replacement for a neighbor's daughter's school uniform since my neighbor's husband was in hospital. But later she asked me to make her daughter's school play costume, and when I said I was sorry but I don't do garments any more and haven't done that type of sewing for many years - just quilts - I think she was really miffed. Certainly is cooler since. I don't know how to explain to non-sewers that there is a real difference - one drains all my energy and stresses me, while the other is fun, creative, and feeds my soul! There has to be a way to say 'no' and not get shunned.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to say NO when asked........

This has just happened to me, I am making donation blankets for CPS. A friend came over to visit and wanted to see what I was doing, I am always excited when someone wants to see how I spend my time. I showed her several blankets I have done, they are just a cute pattern for children with a sheet for backing and I quilt them on my long arm. Because the material is printed with a cute pattern I can whip one up every week and still have time for my family quilts. She fell in love with them and wanted one on the spot and asked if I could make a special one for another of her grandsons, she picked the fabric from what I had and I said yes. Oh My Gosh, Never have I had such a problem with quilting.....my encoders went loose and I had to take the quilt off and the machine down to the shop, it was skipping stitches, tension was off, came back, still not fixed, they had to order new encoders and fix again. Each time I put a new blanket on and started over, ran out of that material and had to buy more, twice, the 4th blanket I loaded on the frame finally got done. I managed to fix the first 3 well enough to donate. I won't do that again, if I have it on hand and they want one, I might sell it but no special orders.

3. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post