Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do I really need to prewash 108" backing fabric?

As others have mentioned, I'd be more concerned about the batting. I'd make sure to read the instructions with the wool batting and follow them closely, especially if you plan to machine wash it in the future.

After seeing what happened to Pam's quilt I am definitely looking at the directions when buying batting from now on!

https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sh...ad.php?t=69803

https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sh...ad.php?t=69853

2. Thanks sewbizzy thanked for this post
    UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I pre-wash is flannel. I have never had an issue with not pre-washing. I also have sent quilt tops to M* and I'm pretty sure they don't pre-wash their backing before quitling.

4. Thanks sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I was told once that if using muslin for the backing it was a good idea to prewash because it might shrink more than the top, so if I use muslin I do prewash. I also use Color Catchers after it's done when I wash it - just to be sure nothing bleeds on white especially.

6. Thanks sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use the wide backing often and do not prewash. I also don't wash the top fabrics. Never had a problem-I usually use warm and white or warm and natural for batting though, not wool. I wash the finished quilt on warm/cold then tumble dry on low.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

8. Thanks sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I have used wool batting before with amazing results so I'm not concerned about batting issues. I use Quilter's Dream Wool. It has no scrim, can be quilted 8" apart, and can be machine washed and dried on delicate/low. I love the way it drapes and it's super breathable and warm. So there's my plug for wool! I think it's the best!

As for the prewashing 108" fabric debate, I think I'll go ahead and skip it based on the other comments. Thanks everyone! Wish me luck!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I never prewash but I do iron it before using it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The only fabric I ever pre-wash is flannel. It seems to shrink more than any other type fabric. I have used flannel as backing and have been afraid of it shrinking so I have always pre-washed.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I started quilting a few years ago, I was instructed to prewash all fabrics except for pre-cuts. This means you need to press and starch before cutting. Since I washed top, I always washed backing and press. Good thing about this is that DD made us a large pressing surface that is portable. I must admit that I have relaxed this rule a lot since then, but I do prewash with colour catchers all batiks and dark navy/purple colours solid fabrics. I have to run these a few times, at times. I also back some quilts with flannel,, and these I do prewash. I don't if the front is also flannel. NEVER wash precurs unless you want to do a lot of pressing, and become your scissors' friend.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.