Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any advice for first time attendees of a quilting retreat?

Those of you who have been to various MSQC retreats, do you have any advice for someone who's going to their first one?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Any advice for first time attendees of a quilting retreat?

I think this depends on the type of retreat and what you want to get out of it. My first (non longarm) retreat was MSQC Fall Forum last year. I always wondered why some people go back year after year. Now I know. Part of it is for the people. I'm looking forward to my 2nd one this year. I like to pre-cut my fabrics ahead of time for whatever project I want to work on. I also try to give myself some break time for visiting and time for learning something new. I don't have many quilty friends in town, so it was great to visit with other quilters. Most of all, plan to have FUN and bring $$ to shop.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the "cut before you go to the retreat", if it is one that you are working on your own projects. The biggest reason I do this is to give my feet a break. By doing this at home, I can break it up and not have to stand for hours at a time.

Double check to make sure you have all accessories needed for your sewing machine. Like foot pedal, power cord, 1/4 inch foot, extra bobbins. MSQC has the machine shed, but they may not have the brand you need for your specific machine.

Enjoy your retreat, they are a ton of fun!
    Vicki C

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I hear they like goodie bags and snacks.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Go and have fun, enjoy the people you attend with and treasure the friends you will make while there.
    Bob

(If all the pieces fit perfectly, people will think it was made by a machine!) LOL

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Bring snacks, your favorite drink, maybe an extra pillow if one isn't enough. Get plenty of rest ahead of time, because it's a crazy, cool good time! Retreats are the best!!
    Dawn Wilking