Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is this NORMAL??

Hi Gals; There is a "BIG SCARY THING " laying by my machine. My unfinished scrap quilt! I go in determined to begin doing free motion on the blocks but not sure what to do. I ponder it for a sec and then think gosh I should tidy up first. Three days later I approach it but hey I really need to go for a walk..then I need to have a coffee.. then I need to get rid of the dust bunny hanging from the ceiling. I am really new to this so I had better get on the web and look up some more info..Gee why not check in on the forum...on and on it goes. Does anyone else suffer from this and is there a cure other than chaining me to my machine? ..Val

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is this NORMAL??

Val, is this your first free motion quilting? How big is the quilt? Tell me more :-).
    There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

It's entirely normal. I keep getting out a particular quilt and laying it over my monitor to tell myself I can't do anything else until it's quilted. Somehow it always makes its way back into the cupboard...
    Quilting through the dull times
    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I think the hardest part is getting started. Even if you can just do a little bit you will get encouraged and want to do more. Can you leave the quilt in your machine once you start? Tonight I started cutting for a new project. I kind of hate the cutting part (I just want to quilt and use my machine!) but it's obviously necessary. I've cut one fabric, now taking a break and checking in here. So, yeah...I think it's completely normal. It's called inertia. And I think we all experience it at one point or another!

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrchapman View Post
    It's entirely normal. I keep getting out a particular quilt and laying it over my monitor to tell myself I can't do anything else until it's quilted. Somehow it always makes its way back into the cupboard...
    I totally know what you mean... They always somehow find a way back into the back of the cupboard out of sight. It's like they don't want to be finished. I think some of my quilts are setting up new distractions for me so that they don't ever get finished. They have become self aware, organised, and sneaky...

I think I've lost the plot....
    Find my creations on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/tinabartondesigns

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It is very normal and the cure - just dive in. I have only done one quilt and I was very scared to ruin all the piecing with bad quilting. It didn't come out perfect, but I was so tickled when I got it done. If I ever figure out how to post the pic with the new camera I will put it up here (lol). So, go for it!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion: if you are going to FMQ, then draw on the quilt with one of those pens where the ink disappears when you iron (MSQC sells them) and then just follow your drawing. That is what i did and it got me over the hump cuz I had something to follow.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I suffer from this too, I have a quilt I made some years ago, its an amish one, colours on black, I started to hand quilt it before Christmas, its sitting on top of the basket at the side of the settee, have started it, but thats as far as I have got.........I keep looking at it, but its difficult to sew at night, I might have a go now I have my new machine lamo, which also converts into a table lamo, it has 20 LED lights in it, I use it in the little dark corner where my machine is.
    ================================================== ==============

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think we all experience this at some time. I have way too many UFOs right now, and my goal for this year is to finish up a bunch of them before I tackle anything new. We'll see how that goes! But, I am almost finished with one of them--I FMQed it and am now putting the binding on.

If this is your first attempt at FMQ, I would suggest you get some swatches and practice before tackling the large quilt. It is quite frustrating manipulating the large quilt while doing the quilting, so if you practice the motions first, you'll be much better off when you start the real thing. There are some great videos on You Tube by Patsy Thompson on FMQ. Also, here is her website: http://www.patsythompsondesigns.com/. It's my goal to purchase some of her DVD's for my library.
    When life throws you scraps, make a quilt!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BellasQuilts View Post
    My suggestion: if you are going to FMQ, then draw on the quilt with one of those pens where the ink disappears when you iron (MSQC sells them) and then just follow your drawing. That is what i did and it got me over the hump cuz I had something to follow.
    OH what a great idea! I'm going to do this. In all the years my mother made quilts and I helped her, we always had them quilted by someone else. I want to free motion quilt, but I'm just too chicken!
    TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny