Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sashing size?

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sashing size?

Is there a rule of thumb on sashing? If my blocks are 16" what size should my total sashing size be?

2. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

St Joseph, Missouri - about 50 min from M*.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sashing size?

For me, it depends on whether I want the sashing to be noticeable and how big I want the quilt to be. For instance, with 16" blocks, if I use 2"(cutting fabrics strips to 2-1/2") sashing, I get a definite sashing. And if I used 4 blocks across and 5 down, I could use sashing between and on outside (makes its own border) for a quilt that measures 74x90". If I need wider, can widen the sashing or add an outside border(s) to make it bigger. 2" seems to be a nice sashing size for large blocks but I have gone bigger and smaller. I don't go any smaller than 1" (so cutting 1-1/2" strips) except for small quilted items, like wall hangings and placemats.

One thing I do notice is that the narrower the sashing, the more every little deviation in size shows (so pressing seams wonky, or taking just a little deeper seam allowance in spots really shows up when I get down to an less than 1" - hence my 1" minimum guideline.

I also like to cut my sashing strips lengthwise (instead of across that fabrics) so I have sashing that doesn't,t stretch as much. Tends to help me square up the quilt more naturally so parallel sides are pretty much the same measurement. Lot easier for borders and machine quilting than having to ease-in to get quilt squared up.

Hope that helps.

4. Thanks Gay Cruz, Old Newbie, SallyO'Sews, sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just my preference here: If it's a large block, I like 2" finished sashing. If it's small blocks, I like 1" finished.

Cornerstones are great for keeping sashing and blocks lined up.

I was told by an experienced quilt instructor that if you don't want cornerstones but want the blocks to line up, pick a small, busy print, and sash each block rather than one long strip. After it's quilted you really can't tell that it's not one long strip.

Most blocks would have the sashing sewn on the right side and bottom. The first block in each row would also have it on the left side. The top row each block would also have it on top.

Before I knew this trick, I had one project, just a pillow top but four blocks and I used one long strip of sashing across. Could not get it to line up. Ripped so many times that the center was frayed. So I wound up putting a pretty rose applique right on top of the intersection. Now that's everybody's favorite part of the pillow!
    Vonnie

6. Thanks Gay Cruz, threadbndr, Old Newbie, SallyO'Sews, sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My sashing is always 2-1/2" cut or 2" finished. ( yay jelly rolls) Borders vary alot 3 -4" although the last year or two I am getting away from making borders at all and sometimes add an extra block at the end of the rows to compensate otherwise the quilt is not big enough.

8. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I use 2 1/2" because I don't want to sew smaller than 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 for the cornerstones.
    I just did one without cornerstones, and it wasn't a time saver. I won't be doing that again.

10. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I found this on Pinterest and I thought it was nice for just sewing a layer cake together, Really thin sashing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thin sashing.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	186.2 KB 
ID:	142258

I have a Bohemian style cake I might do this with.

Lorie

12. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on the quilt. I've had charm blocks with which I used honey bun strips for sashing (1.5" wide). Other times I've used 2 or 2.5" sashing. Sometimes I use no sashing. It all depends on the quilt pattern. I want my focus fabrics to be the first thing I see when looking at a quilt--not glaring white sashing. I always sash each block individually. For me it's just easier & things line up better.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Great discussion! You got me thinking about a quilt I'm making that will have many tedious blocks. If I add sashing, I won't have to make quite so many blocks. What Julie posted about how you cut your strips (lengthwise or across fabric) got me thinking about the waviness I sometimes get in my borders. I suppose it can happen with the sashing as well. Good food for thought!
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

15. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

This forum is so full of information. Thanks for this discussion.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Do you put the sashing on all four sides of each block and then put blocks together?