Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spring Cleaning Your Quilting Area

Hi everyone,

I happened across this blog last week & thought it might be helpful to the forum gang.
    It's spring cleaning in steps to clear clutter & organize your quilting room.

Here's the link to the intro and the first weeks task.

http://academicquilter.blogspot.com/...-cleaning.html

http://academicquilter.blogspot.com/...ing-books.html
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

2. Thanks MHG Winnower thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spring Cleaning Your Quilting Area

Wonderful idea. My room looks like Mt Fabric erupted in there. The cat got lost in there the other day. I'm keeping all my books (6), though, that was easy!
    Heather

4. Thanks pcbatiks thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Heather......I would think that 6 books would be easy to go thru and organize. However, I would be a little concerned about the cat getting buried in a fabric avalanche.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just did a cleanout over Easter. I am selling some things that I have never used or will not use. It feels good to thin out the useless stuff (to me).

The closets are next....oh boy.

7. Thanks KaylaWalker, pcbatiks thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I started last week and got all my orange fabrics into a tub Cleaned out a dresser and got all those in tubs too. Layer cakes has it's own and jelly rolls and charms in another. Then came the children's and stripes and polka dots. Those dang geckos are locked out!

I don't have very many quilt books and I'm keeping the one you sent me

Lorie

9. Thanks pcbatiks thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Deb, good luck with the closet. Don't be afraid.

Lorie, I've been wondering if you started making anything with all those orange fabrics we talked about. Every time I see a bundle of orange fabrics I think of you.

I went through all my quilting stuff awhile back and organized & got rid of a few things.

What I really need to do is spring clean the rest of the house.........but that doesn't sound very fun to me.

11. Thanks stationarymom thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Went through all my books/magazines awhile ago and was surprised at how much I had and how little of it I kept. What a relief! Went through all the fabric once ..... think it needs it again....but I don't need to right now. I'm leaning more towards going through all the other stuff. So many things I tried and didn't like but felt guilty getting rid of it. I'm ready to pitch. Purging is kinda my thearpy....my dh hates it when I'm in that kinda mood. Heh, heh....makes my day!

13. Thanks pcbatiks thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well, thanks to all of your cleaning efforts, my stash of fabric grew to a usable proportion so that I can coordinate colors and have enough to actually create a quilt. I spent 3 days cutting random scraps into 5,4,3 1\2,3, 21\2,2 inch squares. Longer pieces into varying width strips and folded anything bigger than 12 inches and put it on the shelf by color. Then I sat down with the 3 inch blocks and am making 16 patches squares. Amazing how good it feels. This week I needed to make the butterfly quilt for a sale and she wanted spring pastels with dark pink trim! I just went to my mini fabric store and found enough pieces to create it. See post of Karen Smith,meemeecyn and me!
    So when your color preferences change or you're tired of that piece, think of the Shriners quilt sale! We'll use it up and make the kids happy

15. Thanks Star lover, pcbatiks thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you all in spirit for this week...don't have too many books. And I'll do the magazines (awww, man, really?!), patterns and papers next week, but ima need bout 3 weeks just for all of my rulers (77 at last count....before the templates, pineapple rulers and Bloc Loc rulers...yikes). And I think I may be starting to hyperventilate when I think about going thru my stash...and the scraps, too?!

My name is Barbara. I'm a fabricogist with a zest for collecting fabric, acrylic and pattern treasures....

17. Thanks pcbatiks thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

77 !!!?? Oh my. I got all mine into a basket. I have doubles, so I'm to get some craft/sewing things together and put them in my Etsy shop. I haven't sold in awhile so I hope they haven't changed to much.
    Last edited by Hulamoon; April 21st, 2017 at 12:37 AM.

Lorie