Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bread and Butter Pickle

This recipe came from my great grandmother Georgianna with the date of 1915 is written at the top of the page. My grandmother said Georgianna owned the first grocery store in our town and sold these pickles for a nickel a jar which was a lot back then!
    I have added proper canning procedures following the Ball Blue Book of canning. Please check the Ball Canning website if you aren't familiar with canning techniques.
    A true bread and butter pickle contains only cucumbers and onions.

State Fair Bread and Butter Pickle

Part One:
    3-4 cups of small to medium sized pickling cucumbers (wash and cut into 1/4" slices)
    2 cups of onions (cut into squares about the sized of a nickel)
    2 cups of red and yellow bell pepper (cut the same size as the onion)
    1/4 cup pickling or kosher salt (do not use salt with iodine)
    2 quarts of crushed ice
    In a large bowl combine cukes, onions and peppers. I try to make sure I have a pretty mix and may not add all the cukes. Put the ice over the mixture and shake salt over top. Add enough water to cover and refrigerate, loosely covered, overnight.

Part Two:
    2 1/2 cups sugar
    2 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon mustard seed
    1 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
    1/4 teaspoon turmeric
    1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    Mix this in a glass container (the tumeric will turn plastic and fabric a nice yellow color)

The next day, drain and thoroughly rinse the pickle mixture. In an enamel pot boil the ingredients in part two for a few seconds to blend. Add the pickle mixture and bring back to a boil. Boil one minute. Do not allow veggies to cook or you will have limp pickles. Remove the pan from the heat at once and stir thoroughly. (the vegetables will have changed color a bit) Leave your stove burner on. Sit your hot jars on an old (dry) towel while filling.
    Scoop out the pickle mixture with a plastic slotted ladle, loosely filling sterilized jars. Return the liquid back to the stove and bring to a boil and then pour it over your jarred pickle mixture. Remove air bubbles with a straight, flat plastic utensil. Leave 1/2" head space in your jars. Wipe rim of jars with a clean damp cloth or paper towel. Put top flat lid on jar and screw on band to just hand tight, do not over tighten. Put jars in water bath canner, making sure jars are completely covered with water. Bring water to a boil and time for 10 minutes. At 10 minutes turn the burner off, remover lid and let canner sit for five minutes. Remove jars to a dry towel (do not dry or shake jars) and let sit undisturbed for 24 hours. Check for seal after 24 hours and gently wash jars that have sealed. Do not re-tighten screw lids. Do not stack jars on top of each other when storing since it can break the seal. Unsealed jars can go into the refrigerator.

I use pint jars. Since I grow my own cucumbers I make more than one batch at a time but I don't double the batch. I make 3 individual batches at a time to make sure my ratio is correct. This pickle is so good when used in tuna or chicken salad! I have won a blue ribbon at the state fair every time I have entered these pickles.

If you give someone a jar of these pickles you will either have to teach them to make their own or supply them with pickles for the rest of their life

2. Thanks Wyora, cv quilter, Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bread and Butter Pickle

I love bread and butter pickles! How many jars do you get from this recipe?

4. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!

Lorie

6. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cokie View Post
    I love bread and butter pickles! How many jars do you get from this recipe?
    For the amount of liquid I think I get six pint jars. The recipe says 6-8 jars but I haven't made just a single batch in over 30 years so it's hard to remember. I usually have so many cucumbers coming out of the garden I just keep making batches of liquid until I run out of cukes or patience and I'm usually turning out 12 to 18 pints in a day.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of cucumber do you suggest from a regular grocery store? People around here grow a lot of Japanese or Pilipino type veggies to sell at farmers markets.

Lorie

9. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Bread and butter pickles are the BEST! Thanks for sharing.
    Vicki C

11. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    What kind of cucumber do you suggest from a regular grocery store? People around here grow a lot of Japanese or Pilipino type veggies to sell at farmers markets.
    Our grocery store sells a short, blocky, thin skinned cucumber called a pickling cucumber. It's also known as a kirby cucumber. The cucumbers you buy for salads are waxed and also if you try to pickle them they get limp, not crisp. I save seeds each year and have some cucumber seeds I can send you I plant 6 seeds in a 5 gallon bucket of Miracle Grow dirt, stick some poles in the dirt for the vines to climb on and I get lots of cucumbers. I know people do pickle the Japanese cucumber but I think it's more of a quick vinegar pickle you pop in the fridge and eat within a week.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to take your offer for seeds! I have three 1/2 wine barrels I use for gardening and was planning to expand it a little more with containers. I was even looking into water troughs the other day.

The local type restaurants make the quick pickles and I love them. They also put out salted cabbage.

My addy is in my user notes. Thank you!

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carolnnc View Post
    Our grocery store sells a short, blocky, thin skinned cucumber called a pickling cucumber. It's also known as a kirby cucumber. The cucumbers you buy for salads are waxed and also if you try to pickle them they get limp, not crisp. I save seeds each year and have some cucumber seeds I can send you I plant 6 seeds in a 5 gallon bucket of Miracle Grow dirt, stick some poles in the dirt for the vines to climb on and I get lots of cucumbers. I know people do pickle the Japanese cucumber but I think it's more of a quick vinegar pickle you pop in the fridge and eat within a week.
    I'm always on the lookout for a good cucumber! I have had bad luck the last few years with the seeds I have chosen. Can I be so bold as to ask you to send me some of your seeds? I love cucumbers and would be very grateful!
    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ilive2craft2 View Post
    I'm always on the lookout for a good cucumber! I have had bad luck the last few years with the seeds I have chosen. Can I be so bold as to ask you to send me some of your seeds? I love cucumbers and would be very grateful!
    Sure, just PM me your address!