Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ruined my quilt help

I had read an article about all the different types of batting.

One of which was wool. I decided to try it since I was going to make some quilts for family that live in the north east. It said that that is soft, washable, and preshrunk.

Well the roll I bought sure the hell wasn't. I finished my quilt put in the wash (cold water) and when I took it out of the wash it was all weird, so I figured well maybe it will be ok once dried (low setting), NOT.

It is all out of shape and every block is majorly puckered and to make things worse it is bleeding fuzz threw the stitches.

I am thinking of giving away to a thrift store the remaining roll unless you can tell me how or if I can possibly use the rest without problems.

Thanks
    Pam
    Have a blessed day
    Pam[/I]
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ruined my quilt help

That is really sad! I hope there is some salvation for your quilt and batting roll.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Pam, I am very sorry for the problems you got. I would call the shop you bought the roll or the producer, tell the problem and ask them for a solution. Sorry I have no better idea.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh what a mess. Call the batting people, take the batting back to the store along with your quilt!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That's terrible. I agree to take your quilt and batting back to the store. Take pictures of it too to send to the manufacture.

Lorie

6. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Please share the brand you bought so the rest of us don't fall into that trap. So sorry all your hard work was ruined.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, PLEASE share the brand. I just finished my first wool batted quilt. The package said preshrunk. I'm nervous now to gift it!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no! After all your hard work, and you followed all the washing instructions and everything! I have a roll of Hobbs washable wool waiting to go into my next quilt. I hope this isn't the brand you used. Now you got me nervous too. Please!!! What brand did you have trouble with?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry you had this problem. Please share what brand you purchased. I have used Quilters Dream Wool It's a little more expensive, but does not shrink when washed and dried on cool, nor does it beard. I know that doesn't help you much but I'm curious as to the brand you used.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased it from walmart and this is what I purchased: Pellon Z 100 Percent Wool Batting with Scrim, Needle Punched, 90" x 6 yd Roll.
    Did I purchase the wrong wool?

It didn't come with any instructions that is why I washed in cold water to be safe. I keep thinking maybe I did something wrong being the first time using wool. But even if it didn't shrink up like an old man it produce all that fuzz through the stitches and it would still have been ruined.

Do you prewash your wool? How do you keep it from producing all the fuzz?
    Have a blessed day
    Pam[/I]
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]