Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default MSQC mistake(?) causing me a dilemma - What do I do????

Background: I've been slaving away on my first quilt for myself. It is Pinwheels made with 5" squares, sew on the outside to make the HST's. I plan to sash/wonk each block L/R tilting. With the pinwheel and sashing, it makes an 8" block. I've been working on it for a while. I'm using V & Co fabrics and some are hard to find.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pile shrunk.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	141580
    Problem: I ran through the two charm packs of Bella Solids 9900-98 White Bleached I had on hand. Since I knew I had a bunch more to make and the sashing to do, I ordered some yardage from M*. I finished my pile and put if up on my design wall to find the color holes and find the layout I like.
    Once I got it on the wall I started noticing some looked a tad different.
    upon further inspection.... the 9900-98 White bleached charms are a slightly creamier white. The yardage that I got from M* is a sharper whiter white.

Name:	layout shrunk.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	224.6 KB 
ID:	141581
    Dilemma: Since I plan to sash, I will have ~80 off whites and ~20 whiter whites. Which do I sash with?? The correct 9900-98 or the brighter yardage?
    AND
    Do I go to the trouble of re-doing the messed up ones??

This is for MY bed. I SEE the issues. I see everytime I didn't get the points perfect in the center. I SEE the whites as different. UGGGGGGGGG. Some of the fabrics I used, I can't get easily again, I'd have to hand recreate the HST's.

Name:	whites shrunk.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	141579
    I re-checked my order and i did order 9900-98. I'm dissapointed i didn't check the fabric against what i had before i started. I don't know if M* sent the wrong fabric or it's that different from different batches? I have a JR of 9900-98 that i was going to use for some of the sashing.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: MSQC mistake(?) causing me a dilemma - What do I do????

Oh boy I see what you mean, there is a dramatic difference in your whites. That would bother me a lot every time I looked at it. M might give you a refund or credit towards more material, but that still doesn't fix your problem. I don't know what I would do especially since you have so many blocks made. You can't really mix them up without messing up the color groups you have going. Hope someone here has an answer for you.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Since they were ordered at different times there is a good chance that thy were from different dye lots. I know we think white is white, but there are so many subtle differences.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had this happen with whites .They sent yardage of one and layer cake of another! They sent replacements but I hadn't started my project! I just don't know. Could you sash with black or another color ?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree Karen, about the dye lot. I have found that even though fabric is sold as the same number it can vary in color because it was made at different times. I don't see it as a MSQ mistake.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately the intent is for the whites of the pinwheel bleed into the sashing. To "white-out" the background.
    It's possible that on the batting, quilted, it won't be as noticeable... guess i need to sleep on it and stare at it for a while longer.

Name:	Lella Shuffle - shrunk.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	141589

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I would sash the 20 sharp whites with the sharp white yardage, and make them into a throw or a bed runner. Then sash the 80 other pinwheels with another color, and make them into a small, rectangular quilt, which also could be a throw or a small quilt to donate to a charity, such as Shriners. After all of the problems with it, I don't think I would want to keep it for myself.

8. Thanks rl2b thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by am2901 View Post
    I would sash the 20 sharp whites with the sharp white yardage, and make them into a throw or a bed runner. Then sash the 80 other pinwheels with another color, and make them into a small, rectangular quilt, which also could be a throw or a small quilt to donate to a charity, such as Shriners. After all of the problems with it, I don't think I would want to keep it for myself.
    I agree with this solution. Unfortunately you would have to start over. But I'd be afraid that if I kept the White white blocks and got more white that that white might not go either.

Best of luck to you on whatever you decide
    Have a blessed day
    Pam[/I]
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

On the bright side, there is more fabric and more quilting in our futures! Whatever you decide, I hope you let this quilt be part of the adventure and not a source of disappointment.

Maybe you could just finish it, and then use it as your snuggle cuddle ice cream toast and jam and chicken noodle spilled sick days in bed quilt. That way you can love it and not worry about 'ruining' all that hard work. Perhaps even sash it with a color or textured print.

11. Thanks quiltingaway, rl2b, BobW thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure that this is a solution, but are you going to mix up the colors instead of having them in sections by color as your photo shows? If you mix them up as the pattern shows, the differences in the whites might not be as noticeable. Then decide which white you want to use for your sashing, make sure you have more than enough, and the slight differences in shades might not be as noticeable either. Especially after batting and quilting.
    At any rate, I would try any and everything I could think of rather than re-do any of the blocks you have completed.
    As a side, my first quilt had so many "mistakes" that I was tempted not to use it on my bed. Like you, afraid that every time I looked at it, all I would see were the "mistakes". With time, you will appreciate what you have created, and don't notice those "mistakes" any more. That is my story and I love my king size not perfect quilt and sleep under it still.
    Best of luck to you and you are wise to sleep on it and think it over before doing anything.....