Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: MSQC mistake(?) causing me a dilemma - What do I do????

I'd probably remake the two rows that are the cream color instead of white. I'd go to the fabric store and take one of the blocks with me that I plan to use in the quilt and find a white that's a similar color. If I didn't have anymore of the green fabric, I'd find yardage that is similar. It doesn't have to be fabric from the same line. Also, I'd make sure to check that designer's other fabrics. Often they pick a palette of colors that blend with all of their other fabrics or with many of them. Good luck.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Based on my experience if it's going to bug you - "fix it" to your liking otherwise every time you look at it you will wish you had.

Allow me to tell you one of my very recent experiences. I had a limited amount of fabric that I loved but hadn't used yet - perfect for making a "quick" mini quilt. Or so I thought.

TAKE 1 - I started off by piecing the log cabin blocks.The logs are 1/2" wide so imperfections make a big difference. Made all 16 and HATED them - they were wonky as all heck and I am not a "wonky quilt person". Hung them on my design wall for a week trying to convince myself they were ok. I seam ripped all 16 of those blocks because I didn't have any more of that fabric. I decided to paper piece the log cabin blocks instead.

TAKE 2 - Made two blocks using paper piecing method - PERFECT!! That's what I'm looking for. Went on vacation, returned and resumed paper piecing. Made the remaining 14 blocks and kept thinking - hmmm, something seems a little "not right" when I was sewing. I should have stopped there to figure out what was "not right" but I plugged along instead. They finished perfectly constructed but when I put them up on the design wall I realized I made those 14 blocks in reverse which meant I couldn't get that awesome circular design with the dark fabrics. Left them up on my design wall for a week trying to convince myself it didn't matter. I spent another week trying to flip the blocks around and figure out how to make an alternative design out of them that would be "good enough".

TAKE 3 - Seam ripped all 14 "wrong blocks" because once again I didn't have any more of that fabric and remade them the "right" way using paper piecing method. As a side note - seam ripping paper pieced blocks is THE WORST because you decrease your stitch length to make sure you can rip your papers off when you are done without comprimising your seams. Now those 14 blocks are perfect to me. I made 46 log cabin blocks for a 16 log cabin block quilt but to me it was worth the seam ripping, swearing, etc. to get there. .I LOVE it now and I know deep down if I had left those log cabin blocks in any of the other states I would not have hung the quilt up at all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CarrieNelson_CabinSkein.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	141656
    Last edited by lmanna; April 2nd, 2017 at 07:41 PM.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Some good suggestions from your friends. I just wanted to give you a {{{hug}}}. To add to what Murphy224 said, after a while you won't remember what mistakes you made - after quilting for 20 years, can you look at your first project and remember every mistake you made in it??!! I love the idea of making it into two projects. {{Hugs}} again - you deserve them!

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lmanna View Post
    Based on my experience if it's going to bug you - "fix it" to your liking otherwise every time you look at it you will wish you had.....
    .... I made 46 log cabin blocks for a 16 log cabin block quilt but to me it was worth the seam ripping, swearing, etc. to get there. .I LOVE it now and I know deep down if I had left those log cabin blocks in any of the other states I would not have hung the quilt up at all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CarrieNelson_CabinSkein.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	141656

LOVE YOUR STORY. i have so far spent a fortune on fabric for this thing. but..... who's counting! (7 charm packs, 2 jelly rolls, 2 Jr Layercakes, 1 triangles pack and 3 yards of the wrong whiiiiittttee!!!) {to the tune of 12 days of Christmas} Not to mention getting my Featherweight serviced to do this. and i haven't picked a back or binding yet. Lawd have mercy on me.

5. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Your "mushy rant" is a quilting story that needs to be submitted to MSQC for one of their books they do. I'm glad the situation isn't as bad as you first thought and you've come up with a solution that will make you happy.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed your mushy rant.

And I am glad that you came up with a solution to fit you. It was enjoyable to read that suggestions of other posters. I have to agree with the one who said she can't even find the mistake she was so worried about. I did just that on a quilt I gave away, sure that I could remember the incorrect seam. Nah. I know it was in a tree block, but now I can't even find the right block, let alone the mistake. And the recipient never saw the pattern so has no idea I goofed.

We are our own worst critics because we are so physically close to the project during construction. I have learned that if you strive for consistency, your eye sees the pattern--the whole--and not the part.

And congratulations on your happiness! May it continue for a long time.
    The trail is the thing----Louis L'Amour

8. Thanks ncmphoy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say 99.9% of us can relate. Welcome to the wonderful (most of the time) world of quilting!
    Quote Originally Posted by ncmphoy View Post
    i have so far spent a fortune on fabric for this thing. but..... who's counting! (7 charm packs, 2 jelly rolls, 2 Jr Layercakes, 1 triangles pack and 3 yards of the wrong whiiiiittttee!!!) {to the tune of 12 days of Christmas} Not to mention getting my Featherweight serviced to do this. and i haven't picked a back or binding yet. Lawd have mercy on me.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

10. Thanks ncmphoy thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

That was a beautiful "mushy rant" and I'm so glad you are that happy <3

12. Thanks ncmphoy thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Loved your mushy rant. I'm glad you found a solution that keeps you happy with your fabric.

14. Thanks ncmphoy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I typed the following:
    I see the difference, but it also looks like the "different" whites are grouped together. It sort of looks like a design element to me. And in the picture, the creamier whites are with a warmer green so, to me, it looked planned.

Then I thought, I better see if she's made a decision before I post. Sure enough, you figured out that you could re-make twenty blocks and be super happy with the quilt. I think that's a win-WIN!

And so glad to know your life has turned around for the better. This beautiful and happy quilt is a sure sign that you're in a better stage of life!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

16. Thanks ncmphoy thanked for this post