Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default WIP March 24 - last full week of March

I started this month asking if March had started like a lion or lamb and most of us were in lion world, I hope the season has shifted and it feels more like a lamb for you now! We are finally done with accumulation of snow, though it still gets cold overnight and we might have some dustings here and there. We returned home from our vacation today and noticed that the permafrost has meltd so the ground is thawed out and the mud-season was quick this year, as a mother of muddy children and a recess monitor, I'm happy to see the mud dry up!

I was talking with my husband today about or goals for 2017 and our incapacity to stick to one of them when I realized it is the end of March already! That was fast! If you made any resolutions have you kept them up? I did get 3 projects done for Sylvia's Fantastic Finishing Group, so that feels like a success! Though I'm not sure all 3 were photographed... I'll have to check!

My sewing goals for this week are basic: Finish the Grandmother's flower garden flower I started last week. Then begin the Easter Basket kits I have ready for this year. We never have managed to find baskets here, so I want to make these for the kids. It was a clearance kit from Connecting Threads, and sometimes their directions leave something to be desired.... Anything else I get to will be clothing, though I'm not optimistic as we have a house guest coming for 12 days. Horray for gifts from America! Boo on the less than 24 hours from returning from our trip before he arrives... I have so much laundry to do!! Better go switch the load....

Tell me, how is March winding down in your neck of the woods? How are your resolutions or goals (quilty or otherwise) for 2017 going? What are you stitching up this week??

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WIP March 24 - last full week of March

I have finished the applique on my entry for the Martelli Notions fall quilt contest. I had enough wool batting left over from Winters Song to use wool batting. Since this will be my first time using wool batting I made two quilt samples to test my quilting motifs. The first sample on the left is just a single layer of wool batting. The sample on the right is a double layer of wool batting and a layer of 80/20 cotton. While the double layer is thicker, it hardly looks that different in person. I was hoping the leaves would appear my prominent than just in the single layer. Since they look virtually identical I will do the simpler single layer of wool batting.

I will start quilting after work tonight. I hope to finish early next week and get it in the mail
    .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3384.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	141355
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck, Denise!! I'm sure it will be stunning!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck Denise. Your quilts are always stunning.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have been pretty busy, got a small quilt finished and given to the grandboy that visits next door. He was there since he has strep. After he thanked me he went inside and covered himself with it to watch TV. He seemed tickled to have it.
    I got a backing made for another small quilt, put 9 leftover blocks together with sashing and sandwiched that, cut another Project Linus small quilt out to be sewn at the next Sit & Sew.
    I was on a roll but I was actually procrastinating doing the grommets in the top of my grandsons curtains. Boy howdy those are awful. I had to get my DH to help and even so we only got 7 done. There are 9 more to go but my hands were like rags, worn out. I think today I will work on those again with a little different method. I think I will try to glue baste the fabric layers together and cut the holes bigger, wish me luck. The fact that I mashed a fingernail black and blue and rotary cut the tiniest bit [it didn't bleed but the nail tip is gone] off the top of one thumb yesterday has made it harder.
    Last edited by Claire Hallman; March 25th, 2017 at 10:07 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yeeouch, Claire! And I thought my embrodiery needle pushing finger was sore...

I also am in Sylvia's Fantastic Finishing group and I seem to have problems with thread supplies...I had to wait three weeks for an order of hand dyed perle cotton skeins that I ordered from Canada. That has of course put me way behind on the March project. I did do some kitchen towel embroidering while I waited using waste canvas (too bad this wasn't one of the projects on my list). I need to get my January project framed but I'm wanting to spray paint a frame white out in the garage and the weather has been too cold for that. The linen is embroidered and beaded at least. I always have the feeling that I want to go back and change or add to or fix my projects. The desire to fiddle with them some more keeps me from feeling like they are really completed, just "completed enough".

We're getting some construction repair projects done this spring so I'm not sure how all that will affect my life, except with them hammering and sawing during the day I might wind up switched back to sleeping at night.

So as for the rest of the month, it is to finish this towel and work on the beige crazy quilt seam project sampler. I have a lot of ideas from bookmarking photos and now that I have these threads that should go more quickly. Good luck to everyone...

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone,

I see there is more than just me that can't sleep tonight. Wow Claire you must be really hurting. I hope your grandson gets well quickly..

I've had a busy week. Glad to report that my DH finally felt good enough to get dressed yesterday. Speaking of yesterday I finally got our 5th wheel RV sold. That will help a lot with paying those hospital bills from my hubby surgeries, and of course giver me a bit more to spend at the retreat in September

I did manage to get a few things done with my quilting. I had finished sewing together the blocks for my grandson's rag quilt, now I have to clip clip clip (ugh). I also finished squaring up the smaller blocks toward the ribbon quilt and I fussy cut some winnie-the-pooh fabric to make a quilt for one of my great grandsons.

One of granddaughters loves cats and in my playing around on the net yesterday I saw the cutest cat panel, so of course I purchased it. I will make her a wall hanging. This was good timing as they are moving to a new place next week. She lives in NY state so it will be a couple weeks before she receives it.

I hope everyone has had good week and also that you will have a great week coming up.

Pam
    Have a blessed day
    Pam[/I]
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Finished sewing the 144 pinwheels I need for the three Moana quilts. Next need to cut 138 squares of prints and 144 background squares. Would like to finish all the cutting Sunday.

Happy sewing!
    Anita G.

9. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My hands have recovered, mostly, and we figured out how to set the grommets with the help of a hammer handle to push with instead of thumbs. They are finished and ready to hang.
    The little grand son of our neighbors is doing much better, I will give all the credit to the quilt.

I got the tiny, extra squares, quilt quilted and the binding pinned on yesterday, I love it, so cute with swirly flowers FMQ. I will try to post a picture, it will surely be sideways but it really doesn't matter since it doesn't have an up or down orientation.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Hallman View Post
    My hands have recovered, mostly, and we figured out how to set the grommets with the help of a hammer handle to push with instead of thumbs. They are finished and ready to hang.
    The little grand son of our neighbors is doing much better, I will give all the credit to the quilt.

I got the tiny, extra squares, quilt quilted and the binding pinned on yesterday, I love it, so cute with swirly flowers FMQ. I will try to post a picture, it will surely be sideways but it really doesn't matter since it doesn't have an up or down orientation.
    I'm glad your fingers are feeling better and the curtains are done!! I can't wait to see the tiny squares quilt!