Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Batting

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Batting

What batting do you prefer when you fmq? Cotton, wool or poly and cotton?
    Carmen

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Batting

I think it is going to depend on the look you want to achieve. If your quilting is going to be dense, and/or highly decorative, the fluffiness of the batting is going to influence the overall look. Someone more experienced will probably come along and tell you their opinion.
    For me, barely out of beginner stage, I just use "Warm & Natural" or "Warm & White" because that is what is sold locally. My FMQ is not to be considered decorative, just utilitarian.

Applique Angel

St Joseph, Missouri - about 50 min from M*.
    Post Thanks / Like

My favorite to quilt smoothly and yet show off the texture that FMQ gives the quilt is Hobbs 80/20. I also really like Quilters Dream select loft 100% cotton and Quilters Dream 70/30. But the QD results in a little flatter quilt than does the Hobbs and is a little more expensive. TheHobbs and QD select have a loft that is just enough to let my stitches lock in the batting (request loft was a bit too thin so sometimes the stitch locked on top or on the back instead of in the quilt but I love request lft for hand quilting).

I order the Hobbs by the board (15 yds of 96" wide) or a 30 yd roll of 120" wide from quiltedmemoriesllc.com because it comes out to about $14-16 per queen size quilt for batting and by cutting ezctly to fit quilt, I greatly reduce waste. On the other hand I also buy Quilters Dream from Amazon because its less expensive than most stores and will arrive in 2 days. My LQS doesn't carry either or these brands. Missouri star carries QD and when I am in Hamilton, I usually check to see if they have Select loft and will buy when they do.
    Last edited by Julie A; March 23rd, 2017 at 12:40 AM.

4. Thanks tassie devil thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Man Sewing has an amazing tutorial where he shows examples of different types of batting. I don't FMQ but I found it very useful and informative.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH00THUlt-8

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use Hobbs 80/20 almost exclusively. I've observed that the LA quilter who has the Tamarack Shack blog uses mostly Quilters Dream. I used a QD 70/30 just once for a baby quilt (got it on sale). It quilted nicely. I didn't care for Warm & Natural -- too heavy.

Applique Angel

St Joseph, Missouri - about 50 min from M*.
    Post Thanks / Like

I too tried Warm and Natural but didn't care for it. At first I thought it was bit too heavy and stiffer. But then.... Natural means that some of the coarse pieces off the cotton plant get included in the battng. I had some of that show under the solid fabric after quilting and ended up looking dirty and spotty where it did. Met with a batting dealer at one point and she confirmed that was normal for Warm & Natural, so that's when I switched to QD, and started also using Hobbs when I saw a lot of professional quilters talking on their blogs about using it. I do love Hobbs and Quilters Dream. Going to try QD silk on my next quilt.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hand quilters love Hobb's Tuscany washable wool.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have an opinion on which batting is the warmest. (I'm not interested in 100% poly but a poly blend would be fine. Or silk or wool, whatever.)

Jeannette