Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spiderweb pattern question

I recently saw the spiderweb tutorial and was immediately hooked, had to have all the supplies. I had been wanting to start a string quilt, but had not decided on a pattern until I saw this method. My question is: Is the "wacky web" template suppose to match the paper foundation pieces for this pattern???...because mine doesn't. I can line up (with lines on the foundation) both angles on the left side and one angle on the right, but that leaves the other right side angle about a 1/4 inch over. Has anyone else mentioned this? Tried to go back and watch the tutorial again, but couldn't find it. Help...I am just itching to do a quilt with this, but hesitate to go any further if I am doing something wrong. Thanks

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spiderweb pattern question

As a newbie quilter I have no ideas for you on this one but here is the link to Jenny's tute on YouTube.
    Hope it helps and good luck
    There will be someone extreeeeeeemely talented and experienced along shortly to help you out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et_AuPOcUlw
    May your sorrows be patched and your joys be quilted

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

thats a really nice quilt pattern. and its another way to use scraps. nifty! i like it.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

I really thought one of 'the girls' was suppose to help me out here! It doesn't matter what I try, one side of the template is almost a 1/4 inch larger than the area it is suppose to go on, on the foundation piece. So whats up with that...is MSQC going to address this issue? Mostly I am just wondering, which one is correct, the template or the foundation pieces?????? HELP PLEASE!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi - ok i will bite - i would think yes, the template and the paper should line up - CALL the shop and talk to them in person and explain your concern and maybe they can replace the papers OR you can always make your own papers by tracing the template onto newsprint..... works for me ......

the thing about the spiderweb is that it is not meant to be perfectly perfect.... wonkyness adds to its charm ..... HAVE FUN with it and i am sure you will love it in the end mcuh more than if you get all flustered about the seam allowances.....
    Last edited by pdjewelrylady; January 10th, 2012 at 04:44 PM.
    Two of my favorite things, to encourage and to be encouraged
    hugs, Suzi
    http://suzi.mypremierdesigns.com/
    it's what i do when i'm not here sewing with you

GOD Bless America

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

pdjewelrylady,thanks for your 2 cents. I have made other spiderweb & string type quilts...but the point of this is, you buy the template & the papers...so you get accurate blocks that match. The point of buying the papers is so I don't have to cut them. Just trying to save some time and make a more accurately matched top. You can tell there has been an error in the cutting of the papers, because the lines aren't the same on all them. It varies from piece to piece. I think however their manufacturer is for the papers has slacked off on quality control. I am also disappointed in the customer service regarding this matter. I had to contact the shop by phone and after some lengthy discussion they offered to replace my papers. Which they did, with an equally inaccurately cut set....:-(. Was so disappointed that no one took the time to check the replacements before they were sent out, considering I had made them aware of the problem. Sent the second set back on the 2-10-12 and have yet to here anything back. So hoping they can get their paper cutters to step up and do their job correctly and replace all the miscut pieces. It could be a great product if cut correctly. I have an entire lap quilt already pieced on the bad papers and just don't know how I am going to make it work out. Happy threads to you!!!

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

I used the template without the paper. I cut out the kite, then the first strip on each side I used a half inch seam then a quarter on the rest, making sure the strips overlaped at the bottom. Cut the trangle out with my strip tube ruler and it left enough area at the points to square up the block and a nice seam allowance for sewing the blocks together. The only problem is a charm pack isn't long enough for the first strip, so it's great for left over scraps. Happy Quilting!!!!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

55quiltlady,
    I feel your frustration!! Too bad that hasn't helped much with your purchase!!
    Your comments, tho, will keep some of us from buying that product. That at least should give you some satisfaction. So sorry that this isn't working out for you!!
    Brenda in Bama

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

55, another quilter here just completed a spider web quilt, kahillusm is her screen name, she could give you tips perhaps as well. Hers came out beautiful. I would pick up the phone and call MSQC; they are very helpful. They are just a phone call away!
    Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.
    Maya Angelou

~Megan~

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Your right my template is smaller than the size within the red area on the paper. There is no way to match. Just glue (at the tips) your fabric that was cut with the template and, then start sewing adding on the strips of all different widths with 1/4" seams. Don't make them matchy - matchy. The spider web quilt does not meet or match on seam lines. That is what makes it look so cool. Look at hers on the wall behind her. The fabric cut with the template will match if you glue it to the paper at the same place on each paper. Just be consistent in your placement of that fabric. I have now made two little throw quilts. I love this pattern. Oh by the way the last set was done on old newsprint. No problems with rub off.