Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Second Quilt!!

This is only the top of course, but I am wondering what I should do for the borders. I would like to do two borders but am not sure yet what colors. I made this from the Layer Cake Pack "Rooftop Garden" by Moda if I'm not mistaken. And attempted the "Cathedral" look. I still can not line my seams together just yet though. Any advice and suggestions is most welcome! Remember I AM NEW TO THIS!!! Very new. I just purchased my sewing machine last week and it was my first time ever touching one! SO be gentle lol!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rooftop Garden Quilt .jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	214.3 KB 
ID:	18245

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My Second Quilt!!

Wow you jump in with both feet don't you! How about a thin back border and a wider one that is brighter? I think black would set off the black from the prints.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

be proud. if i may suggest. go to the videos and watch the beginners vids. in there some where is about nesting yourseams...

but still... they look great. and save your manual for your machine...down the road you may need it...

What a great start!!!
    all the best
    Gina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This looks good to me. I love the scrappiness you are achieving. Those pesky seams, who cares when it looks this nice! I would suggest a good ironing with the seams, starched out firm. That may help you somewhat.
    Keep going!
    Sewing mends the soul.

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=ginampls;107203] and save your manual for your machine...down the road you may need it...
    QUOTE]

Looks great to me

@Gina....manual???? machines come with manuals? I first have to play with everything on the machine and then when I get it good and messed up I turn to the manual
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That looks great, you did a good job of nailing those curved pieces. I think a narrow black to pop your selection of colors and then a wider color border of one of the fabrics you really love from your selection.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That is going to be beautiful when finished. I agree with the narrow (no wider than 2") of black and then a wider border with a solid color to match one of the quilt colors. I would just pick your favorite color from the quilt and match it.
    Donna
    MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A-may-zing! Great job so far, think you're doing a sterling job there!
    Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.-Robert Louis Stevenson

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing.... love the way these colors play... i'm a nut for deeper colors.... definitely the BLACK and from there it's your choice!!!!
    Keep up the good work... if your having fun... your a success!!!
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Great job to have never sewn. I'm with everyone else. Use a thin black border and then either pick a color you like solid or print from the fabrics and make a wider border or pick one of the least dominant colors and use that as your outer border and binding to bring out that color more. As far as the seams not nesting try pinning the rows together before you sew them.

Again great job.