Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My mother lied to me!

I once told my son parsnips were albino carrots, at the time albino was his new word.

2. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My husband told his kids that duck was "a very long" chicken.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

4. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My son is extremely picky... There are times we tell him that things are cheese, or have no taste, and ask him to try them. However, we never force him to eat. He's figuring it out though and finally coming around to trying new things as he approaches age six.

Our 8 year old has been told that steak is just hamburger before it got mushed up, she tried steak and loved it and will now eat steak. I think that was a twist on reality more than a blatant lie.

I don't remember my mom lying to me about food, and she wasn't one to fight a battle either if we didn't like something. She'd had it too rough as a kid herself.

I am surprised by all the powdered milk, we never drank much milk growing up, and my daughter will only drink it with Oreos. I'm okay with that, she gets plenty of vitamins and calcium from other sources. My son gets a glass of milk, but not until after he has eaten five bites of every food on his plate, or he would just drink milk 24/7 because he feels full from it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My mom served powdered milk, too, when I was a little kid. It's only palatable if it's really cold. I think it was cheaper than regular milk, and of course it didn't spoil, so there were some benefits to it, I guess.

My mom tried making us clean our plates, no matter what, till the time my brother was made to sit at the table and finish his liver, which he absolutely hated. After a lot of crying and whining, he finally choked it down, then promptly threw it all back up right on the table.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My sister hated onions. She spent more time picking though her food looking for onions that her food got cold and she then wouldn't eat it. So mom got smart and started chopping the onions in teeny tiny pieces that my sister couldn't find. She then told her she quit using onions for her.

My grandpa would not eat leftovers. So grandma would take the leftovers to one of her sisters, who would keep it for a day and then bring it back to grandma's saying she just made it. Grandpa ate it up without ever knowing the difference.

8. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snip Snip View Post
    My mom served powdered milk, too, when I was a little kid. It's only palatable if it's really cold. I think it was cheaper than regular milk, and of course it didn't spoil, so there were some benefits to it, I guess.

My mom tried making us clean our plates, no matter what, till the time my brother was made to sit at the table and finish his liver, which he absolutely hated. After a lot of crying and whining, he finally choked it down, then promptly threw it all back up right on the table.
    I did the same thng with stewed tomatoes. STILL can't swallow a cooked bit of tomato, but love them raw.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We drank lots of powdered milk, too, when I was growing up. But I knew it was powdered; mom didn't lie to me. One time my mom made some split pea soup and called it Christmas Soup so my grade school age boys would eat it. They chowed down on it & liked it just fine.

11. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have never had powdered milk. I didn't know it existed until I was an adult. It amazes me that it was obviously so popular in the US, clearly milk was cheaper in the UK because you can be sure that if it wasn't my mother would have used a cheaper alternative!

I have lied soooooooo much to my kids! (hangs head). I told them that when the ice cream van came round playing music it meant that he had run out of ice cream. They hated stew so I made casserole (identical). I told them that I couldn't play football because I have a bone in my leg (technically not a lie). I told them that the blinking light on the burglar alarm was Santa watching in to see if they were being good. I told them that if they didn't tidy their room TONIGHT after nagging for days that I would put everything in the bin and they would have nothing, They didn't. So the next day I bagged their entire room up, leaving only a teddy each and their beds and stored it all in the loft. They came home from school to nothing! I kept it all in the loft for a week. I told them that only Mummies could decorate the Christmas tree because it was very very dangerous. What can I say......... I am OCD about my tree.

Of dear..........I was such a bad mother.

13. Thanks SallyO'Sews, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I think we all have been lied to a little bit as children, and we have done the same things to our own.....Little white lies are no big deal. When it mattered we were told the truth, and we did the same thing with our children.
    When you think about it, we all tell little white lies.....Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, etc. Does that make us bad parents ? No of course not, I just think it's hilarious how many people were told pretty much the same things !
    I had a marvelous childhood.....my parents were two of the best !

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

15. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

My Mom tried to pass fried squash as French fries once. It probably shouldn't have been so awful but it was mushy and full of seeds. Yuck! I have 2 sisters and we were all pretty young...we all cried from the disappointed expectation of fries. (It was long before fast food was so easy to get to.) I feel bad now for my sweet Mom trying to give us veggies and all of us just sitting there crying! I don't know how Mom & Dad raised 3 girls with their sanity intact but thankfully they did.

17. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post