• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MLyle
    Honey Bun
    • Jan 2017

One Fabric Strips

Am I the only one who would like to see strip sets using just one fabric? I admit to loving the geometric balanced look of quilts with only a few fabrics, don't care for lots of different prints and colors. I've searched the net, and other than a few with solid white, I'm not finding any where the strips were cut from a single print or color. Strip sets have made it possible for me to quilt again, as I have nerve damage that makes it very difficult to cut long lines. Has anybody seen strip sets from one pattern or color?
    Martha in NW Florida
  • Caroline T.
    Missouri Star
    • Jun 2016

Re: One Fabric Strips

I've seen them at my LQS with just a few prints, but just one,...only in solids.

But once I was planning a black, red & white quilt and couldn't find a jelly roll that I liked, so went to ma LQS and chatted with the ladies. The shop wasn't busy at the time so they helped pull fabrics for me to choose, and for a minimal price cut the strips for me. I did offer to come back at a later time to pick up the JR so they could do it between customers. So, my suggestion is ask your local shop if they can provide the service.

Last edited by Caroline T.; March 19, 2017, 07:34 AM. Reason: Added picture

Comment

• grammaterry
      Missouri Star
      • Dec 2015

Caroline, that quilt is amazing. I want one
      success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
      Terry of NC

Comment

• DeniseSm
        Missouri Star
        • Nov 2013

Other than white and black I have not seen strip sets of only one fabric.

Have you considered using a die cutter like Accuquilt or Sizzix? They make electric versions now that you do not have to hand crank. Maybe your quilt guild or a friend would let you borrow theirs to see if you like it.

We’ve reviewed some of the top fabric die cutting machines on the market to help you find the right one. Save time & Money with these models.
        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• Hulamoon
          Missouri Star
          • Jul 2012

I agree, very cool!

That's good advice on asking the shop if they could cut them for you. Or maybe you know some teens to help you out.
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

• JaniceR
            The Guild President
            • Apr 2012

I agree a die cutter is a very good solution because it could help you in your cutting of any quilt or project you might want to do.

Caroline, that quilt is BEAUTIFUL!! I am sitting here planning one to make. Thank you for posting that picture!! I LOVE it!!

Comment

• Hulamoon
              Missouri Star
              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
              Other than white and black I have not seen strip sets of only one fabric.

Have you considered using a die cutter like Accuquilt or Sizzix? They make electric versions now that you do not have to hand crank. Maybe your quilt guild or a friend would let you borrow theirs to see if you like it.

http://www.quiltersreview.com/fabric-cutting-machines/
              I didn't know these could cut strips, so I went looking for a video. How easy!
              Visit AccuQuilt online at ‪http://www.accuquilt.com‬AccuQuilt provides a lesson on how to cut 2.5 inch fabric strips using the AccuQuilt GO!™ Fabric Cutter. ...
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

• TMP
                Missouri Star
                • Apr 2014

Caroline, I want a quilt like that its just beautiful
                Teresa
                Pelham, Alabama
                War Eagle!!!

Comment

• EnumclawGramma
                  Missouri Star
                  • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
                  I've seen them at my LQS with just a few prints, but just one,...only in solids.

But once I was planning a black, red & white quilt and couldn't find a jelly roll that I liked, so went to ma LQS and chatted with the ladies. The shop wasn't busy at the time so they helped pull fabrics for me to choose, and for a minimal price cut the strips for me. I did offer to come back at a later time to pick up the JR so they could do it between customers. So, my suggestion is ask your local shop if they can provide the service.

BEAUTIFUL quilt! Great advice!

You're such a talented quilter. I love this!
                  sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Comment

• redcaboose1717
                    Missouri Star
                    • Apr 2011

Beautiful Quilt ....Thanks for sharing !
                    Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

• PrettyCurious
                      The Guild President
                      • Mar 2016

That's a good idea to ask the quilt shop if they will cut strips for you.
                      Or
                      If you want solids
                      Bella
                      Purchase jelly roll quilt fabrics at great prices! Buy precut 2.5-inch jelly roll strips in every color & style from the designers you love.

Kona
                      Purchase jelly roll quilt fabrics at great prices! Buy precut 2.5-inch jelly roll strips in every color & style from the designers you love.

Then maybe you can add some prints that you do have to cut, but it will be less cutting since you don't have to cut the solids.
                      Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

• GrammaBabs
                        Missouri Star
                        • Aug 2010

"Each day well-lived and Happy;
                        that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

• Mishi
                          UN-Biased
                          • Mar 2013

If it is within your budget, I highly recommend an Accuquilter (or some other brand). If you could go electric that would be even better, but if your nerve damage doesn't impact gross motor movement, the Accuquilt Go is easy to use.

I thought they were too extravagant really, but my husband surprised me with one. I honestly never thought I would use it, but omg, I'm addicted to it. Perfect cuts every time, strips are never wonky, HST and flying geese always come out the right size without sliver trimming. You could cut eleventy billion strips of the same fabric in about 10 minutes.

*Disclaimer: Not affiliated with the company in any way, just a quilter that can't cut a straight line to save my life.

Comment

• MHG Winnower
                            Missouri Star
                            • Nov 2015

I have found this cutter very useful for cutting strips and know several individuals with arthritis in the hands who use it. I know shops like JoAnne's has them too and "gotta love those coupons". https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Rotar.../dp/B00EXIACSU
                            “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
                            “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

• Cokie
                              Missouri Star
                              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post

Caroline this is gorgeous! Will you share the name of the pattern?

Comment

Working...
                              X