Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Family and Community

I cannot believe how time flies sometimes. It was only a few years ago that my life changed, and I moved back home. At the same time my cousin and her family moved back home too. Her husband ( I call him my cousin too) whom I have known since the sixth grade retired from the military. While in the military my cousin pick up on photography, and went to school for it. I can say that he is pretty amazing at it. Unlike myself he does portrait photography like no other person that I know. Since their arrival back home here he has started a small side business of doing senior photos, family photos, etc. and his reputation is starting to grow in the community. A couple months back he was doing something around the house that resulted in blowing his knee out. So he had called me and asked if I could fill in for one of his appointments. I agreed. Luckily this appointment was one of my kiddo's best friends.

The day of the photo shoot I felt so unprepared. Plus it doesn't help that my style of photography differs from my cousin's . I am more of a photojournalist than a portrait photographer. Even though he showed me how to use the extended equipment I just was not comfortable using it all on the fly. I only had one day to prepare. I did grin and bear it, and managed to get through the day. However, I felt so unsuccessful and left the photoshoot frustrated. I did manage to keep my cool and kept professionalism the entire time, and out of the 500 photos taken that day less than 25 were good. I ended up telling my kiddo's friend's parents that we would reschedule towards the spring and I would drag my cousin along no matter what.

So last night was the rescheduled appointment. Everything went smashingly! We ended doing the photoshoot inside a small retail shop in one of our local small towns. This time around I was not the one taking photos but I was able to direct instead. I also hired another one of my kiddo's friends to do hair and makeup. I have watched this girl grow in her own right in her craft. She did an amazing job of transforming our subject from her everyday self to Audrey Hepburn. Because of the good work this girl did my cousin offered to hire her for any up coming photoshoots to do hair and makeup. This girl will be graduating high school this spring with her license in Cosmetology. And yes, she has a salon already interested in her for when she graduates.

Here is the whole point of this story. When a family member is in need you help them out. I found that we work well together so as long as my cousin does all the picture taking and I do the directing and organizing. Getting the kids involved is a plus. My kiddo and my cousin's older kiddo were an added bonus to this shoot. They helped out immensely. Hiring someone to do hair and makeup was the best idea. Not only did her work improve the shoot but we are going to use some of the photos to build her career profile. Being greatful that our location was offered because the subject's mom works there and we got to use anything in the store as props. What I liked most about this is that it brought our family and community closer in working together. It made me realize that if I ever opened my own business I want to do my part in keeping a social responsibility to my community. Grant it writing a check is one thing but making connections in helping others out is far greater.

The best part of this photo shoot was seeing my kiddo's friend's dad beam with happiness when his daughter was made over with her hair and makeup done. She is not the type of kid to be bothered with makeup or being adventurous with her hair.

2. Thanks Monique, SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Family and Community

What a great story - thanks for sharing with us!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree.....great story ! Thanks for Sharing !

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That's pretty cool.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How sweet. Sounds like a win for everyone.