Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wanted: Donated Scraps or Selvages!!

Hello quilters!!
    I am relatively new to quilting and want to try a selvage quilt, to donate to a homeless veterans group I make knitted hats for, but have very little due to my amateur status!!
    Do any of the experts out there have stashes of selvages they would be willing to donate?

I would even take any scraps that people are willing to separate from!!
    The charity is called Operation Chill Out if anyone would like to check it out.

I would arrange for shipping.

Thank you for considering!!!!
    Vicki

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wanted: Donated Scraps or Selvages!!

I don't save selvages, but I have a box of scraps, some small some almost fq size.

3. Thanks Vpboardman thanked for this post
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Hi! Would you like to donate them? If so, send me a private message. Thanks for looking!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't save selvedges either, unless it's just a small section to reference the fabric designer & name of fabric. I wish you well with your project.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you have any fabric for your stash, go through and trim all the selvages from what you already have. You will be surprised how fast it adds up, expecially if your stash is large.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deegles View Post
    If you have any fabric for your stash, go through and trim all the selvages from what you already have. You will be surprised how fast it adds up, expecially if your stash is large.
    Then if you run short of something you won't have any idea how to find more, as the information will be gone.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shirleyknot View Post
    Then if you run short of something you won't have any idea how to find more, as the information will be gone.
    I tried that once. The info on the selvage did not help me at all. Has it help you?
    I mostly cut my fabric the other direction, so I have very little pieces of selvages anyway.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shirleyknot View Post
    I agree with Deegles ... most of my stash doesn't have enough info remaining on the selvage to tell me what line it came from so cutting them is not a problem. The larger pieces that I'm cutting to make a kit I will usually take to the color copier and make a page that shows the info on the selvage along with the fabric.

If l cut the selvage off larger pieces that will stay in the stash I'll just snip off the foot or so that contains the info that I need and fold with the piece. The rest usually goes towards filling for pet beds.
    But then again I'm a bargain hunter - sometimes it doesn't matter if I keep the info or not because most of the stash fabric has been discontinued anyway ... and gets added to the bed filling.

I do have a baggie of selvages from some children's fabrics, VPBoardman. PM'ing you now.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you have had your stash too long, you cannot find a match anyway.

Good luck with your selvage!
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

11. Thanks PrettyCurious thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Another way to buy fabric cheap is to use clothing or sheets. I am on my 4th quilt using vintage sheets and they are wonderful to sew with. You can get a lot of yardage for very little money, and the prints are fun. The key is to starch them well, makes cutting and piecing easier. I like to quilt as you go with long strips, that way the piecing and quilting are done in one go. I use watered down washable school glue to baste backing and batting together. Let it dry a few hours, then iron on the backing side. (Best to use cotton batting for this). Then I start with the middle strip and pin the next strip to each side. Iron after each new strip is added. When you are done, just trim and bind. I can do a lap quilt in a few hours this way for very little cost.