Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vintage Tablecloths

Has anyone ever made quilt tops from vintage tablecloths? I have the book, "Vintage Tablecloth Quilts: Kitchen Kitsch to Bedroom Chic • 12 Projects to Piece or Appliqué," by Rose Sheifer, and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this.

Thanks!

Jane

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vintage Tablecloths

I actually have a couple (not quilts but tablecloths) which were made from feed sack. I can't bear to chop them up, though! I was able to get stains out of them and the fabric appears solid.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a vintage Hawaiian table cloth and I can't cut it up either. I thought about it, but you don't come across them too often.

Lorie

4. Thanks JaneMarieS thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen whole cloth quilts made from vintage damask tablecloths and they were beautiful. I have a lot of vintage tablecloths but I"m not cutting them up! I use them daily. I have seen vintage tablecloths for sale on eBay just to use to cut up. They are usually ones that are stained or have holes in them and go very cheaply.
    Patrice S

6. Thanks JaneMarieS thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Several years ago I attended a quilt show and met a woman (I believe we was from either Wisconsin or Michigan) who collected tablecloths from the 40's-50's and quilted them as art work. A wonderful way to preserve something dear to us without cutting it up. Her exhibit held me spellbound, as her quilting work really set off the motifs on the tablecloths. Wonder if I still have her business card?
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

8. Thanks JaneMarieS thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

No I haven't, but I do have a small collection of vintage table cloths and linens. Many times when I see them in shops, they have yellow or brown spots, and using them in quilt blocks would be one way to re purpose them. I use mine quite a bit. I have pillow cases my great granny embroidered decades ago... when I was a kid, I use them as shams with my quilts in my guest rooms. I use my table cloths when we have picnics and things. I love them.

10. Thanks auntiemern thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a large collection of vintage linens, man of which are tablecloths. I have thought of using one of them as backing on a smallish quilt (maybe one made from vintage hankies). Many of mine are in excellent condition.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have made one, I had fun making it. In 2013 I worked at a shop that made quilts and did the longarm work on them. A customer came in and brought table clothes, dresser scarves, table runners, and pillowcases. She also had a few pillowcase doll dresses. I first started folding fabric to lay out, because cutting is so final. Once I started seeing the beauty come through, I stabilized and cut. Here are a few pictures, I hope they come through.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mappimg the linens.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	140761Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linen parts together.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	140762
    Vicki C

13. Thanks Monique, JaneMarieS thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

And here are a few others, along with the final. the customer said none of the younger family members wanted any of this "stuff because it did not match their decor".
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	detail quilting of linen quilt.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	184.0 KB 
ID:	140763Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Full linen quilt.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	140764Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pillowcase dress.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	140765Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 linen quilt.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	197.8 KB 
ID:	140766Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 pillowcase dress.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	140767

It was an honor to put the top together for this customer. She loved it and said no one will get it now. The shop owner did the longarm quilting on it, some around the embroidery, and keeping away from the doll dresses that i recreated from the doll pillowcase dresses.

Enjoy.
    Vicki C

15. Thanks Monique, JaneMarieS thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone for their input. I have quite a few vintage tablecloths that are in beautiful condition, and while I use them, I could never cut them apart.

What I've done is purchased a number of "cutters," vintage tablecloths that are heavily damaged in some spots but have enough of the patterns to be salvageable for other projects.

Any ideas??