Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Smile 2017 Fall Forum Retreat Information

PLEASE READ THROUGH THE WHOLE POST.
    I know that it is long but there are important details and a few changes from previous years.

Check in for the 2017 Fall Forum Retreat will start at noon on Sunday, September 24 at the MSQC Retreat Center and all attendees will be expected to depart by 11AM on Wednesday, Sept 27th. Please do not arrive early for check-in – the MSQC staff will be cleaning it from the Birthday Bash activities and setting up for our retreat on Sunday morning. Main check-in will be from noon to 2:30PM on Sunday. Mini-classes will start at 3 PM on Sunday. Sunday’s lunch will be on your own. Subway, Casey’s, and the grocery store in Hamilton are open on Sunday for you to get something to eat.

The 2017 Fall Forum Retreat Registration fees are as follows. They include 8 meals (Sunday evening through Wednesday morning), MSQC demonstrations, mini-classes from our fabulous forum members, activities, Retreat Scavenger Hunt and T-Shirt. We will have a maximum of 40 spaces for quilters.

$350 for a dorm style twin bed (2nd floor)

$150 for Commuters***

$50 Travel Companion Meal Ticket (This ticket is for anyone who is traveling with a retreater and would like to eat with the group. This is for all 8 meals.)

Free Sewing Machine Rental for the entire event (20 available)
    Free "Sewing Essentials" kits available to rent (cutting mat, rotary cutter, ruler and scissors) (20 available)

***Commuters - Currently, it is set up that there are 30 spots for staying at the retreat center and 10 spots for commuters. In order not go over 40 attendees, only a limited number of commuter spots will be available at one time. If those sell out, MSQC will add additional commuter spots if we have not sold out the retreat center spots. We do ask that commuters leave by 11 PM each night so doors can be locked. Doors will be unlocked by 7AM each morning.

GENERAL INFORMATION

There will be no structured classes presented by Missouri Star but mini-classes and presentations by other forum members will be scheduled periodically throughout the event. The supply list for these classes can be found on the 2017 Fall Forum Group. This list will be updated as we add and finalize the classes. This is your retreat so feel free to participate in as many or few activities as you wish. Many people bring their own projects to work on.

Meals are served buffet style. There is a huge kitchen counter where the food is presented at scheduled times. If you don't make it at the time food is served, you will need to find something else to eat. (There are several restaurants in town plus a grocery store.) Breakfast is served continental style. Usually, lunch and dinner consists of a main dish and several sides plus a dessert. Vegetarian options are available.

There will be a snack sharing table again this year. Feel free to bring your own favorite munchies or special non-alcoholic drinks to share. There is coffee, tea, water, and ice available for us. We do have use of the kitchen area except when the meals are being served. The kitchen has a refrigerator, oven, microwave, and dishwasher that we can use. If you have a favorite cup you like to use, please consider bring it. (Retreat Center has gone to all paper products.) Please be considerate to others and clean up after you use the kitchen.

In order for it to be a peaceful, relaxing environment for everyone, we will be following the MSQC policy of using headphones/earbuds if you wish to listen to music or watch a video on your computer, etc. One of the changes for this year is new tables for the retreat center. Each person will have their own 2 foot by 4 foot table. Due to limited space, we ask that you do not bring your own tables except for TV trays. If you need your personal sewing chair, feel free to bring it. The retreat center does have design walls by the sewing tables.

We will be doing a show and tell, a charity quilt, group picture, daily attendance drawings, and an “I don’t want it, you can have it table” again this year. Please feel free to bring an item to show and tell if you wish. Daily attendance prize drawings – we will try to have enough for everyone to get something during each of these daily giveaways. So if you have anything sewing/quilting related that you would like to donate, please bring them. We will do these drawings Sunday, Monday and Tuesday evenings.

This year we will be trying a new idea that Sandy thought of. Instead of favors, each person will bring one bigger item that we made or bought – approximately, $25-$30 in value. This way no one will need to stress over making a whole lot of items. We will be doing an activity to swap these items with those who wish to participate on Sunday night. Some ideas are table runners, wall hangings, bags, totes, gift certificates. A thread will be opened on the 2017 Fall Forum Retreat group to brainstorm ideas. Note: This activity is purely OPTIONAL!

Dress attire is casual and comfortable. Missouri weather can be unpredictable. When it comes closer to the retreat, we will have a closer idea to what the weather will be like. So far this year, we have had extreme temperature changes within a week. I do recommend throwing in a jacket as the September evenings are usually a little chilly.

There will be a 2017 Fall Forum Group that will be open to those who are registered. Please be patient as we coordinate those who are registered to be invited to the group. We will have discussion threads about what to expect, what to bring, how to get the most out of a retreat, and many other threads. It will be the place to ask questions about the retreat and get to know others who will be attending the retreat. (If you have questions but are not registered, please feel free to send me a PM.) Many more details and information will be given in this group as information becomes available.

SCHEDULE

On Sunday, we will have two mini-classes, introductions, door prizes, show and tell, and gift exchange, charity quilting and game night.

On Monday, we will have a mini-class, door prizes, and show and tell.

On Tuesday, we will have a mini-class, scavenger hunt, door prizes, and show and tell.

On Wednesday, we will be leaving. Everyone will need to leave by 11AM.

And sometime during the retreat, we will do a group picture, make a charity quilt, see MSQC demonstrations, shop, sew, and have a great time with our forum friends.

More details of the event will be posted on the group page when they become available. A printed schedule will be available at check-in. All activities are subject to additions and changes.

Please note as in years past – ALL ACTIVIES ARE OPTIONAL – PARTICIPATE IN AS MANY OR FEW AS YOU WISH.

REGISTRATION

All registration details will be available as soon as possible and will be posted on the MSQC forum under Retreats and Events. MSQC is changing their format of registration and will not be using Eventbrite which is why registration is on hold for the moment. But we do have the Retreat Center reserved for our Fall Forum Retreat.

Thank you so much for your patience as MSQC works through retreat registration changes.

2. Thanks Monique, Judy, USMC, bubba thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2017 Fall Forum Retreat Information

I am boycotting the group picture until we receive the 2016 group picture like the photographer promised.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

4. Thanks BobW, snippet, bubba thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K. McEuen View Post
    I am boycotting the group picture until we receive the 2016 group picture like the photographer promised.
    Bernice and I have both tried to get a copy of the picture and have not been able to yet.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to apologize now. I have my favors done. So, I'm going to bring them. I don't need 42 of them.

7. Thanks auntiemern thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sad that I am going to have to to miss this year's retreat. I had such a good time the last two years. I'll be going to Disney in a couple weeks so won't be able to afford both trips this year. I hope to come again next year.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wlrquilts View Post
    I am so sad that I am going to have to to miss this year's retreat. I had such a good time the last two years. I'll be going to Disney in a couple weeks so won't be able to afford both trips this year. I hope to come again next year.
    We will miss you. Have fun in Disney

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This year we will be trying a new idea that Sandy thought of. Instead of favors, each person will bring one bigger item that we made or bought – approximately, $25-$30 in value. This way no one will need to stress over making a whole lot of items. We will be doing an activity to swap these items with those who wish to participate on Sunday night. Some ideas are table runners, wall hangings, bags, totes, gift certificates. A thread will be opened on the 2017 Fall Forum Retreat group to brainstorm ideas. Note: This activity is purely OPTIONAL!

Sandy is brilliant... By now if you have attended all of the forum retreat, you could have as many as 150 favors! Way to think on your feet Sandy!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    I'm going to apologize now. I have my favors done. So, I'm going to bring them. I don't need 42 of them.
    There will be others. LOL. Just take them and swap with those who do. Or whatever you decide. It's casual.

12. Thanks auntiemern thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ha, no need to apologize. I have the materials for my favors (well, most of them) and a really cool idea, so I will be making mine as well, and probably go ahead and bring a larger item to trade too, because getting stuff is fun!
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Clearly, you are an overachiever!!!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!