Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hummingbird check in

One in ten of us is an up-at-dawn, raring-to-go early bird, or lark. About two in ten are owls, who enjoy staying up long past midnight. The rest of us, those in the middle, are hummingbirds.
    I wish I was a lark, I really do. I love the thought of seeing the dawn break, hearing the birds singing their waking call, smelling the early morning air, planning for a busy day. I think I'll be a lark in my next life when I come back tall, rich, flat chested and blond.
    But, I am a hummingbird. I am accepting my hummingbird life this time around. I get quite a lot done during my day which usually starts at 10 or 11 am and finishes around 11pm. The animals have been fed and watered. I picked daffodils and wandered around the yard to look for the newspaper. I've just finished breakfast and am working on my second cup of coffee while I decide what to do today. I have to do a quick clean of the quilt cave and then cut fabric for a table runner. There's a hockey game on to watch/listen to while I flip through the quilting books I found at the thrift store yesterday. Dinner is enchiladas and then hubby and I will settle in to watch Scandal on Netflix. That gives me a chance to work on either a quilt binding or some embroidery.
    How many hummingbirds are there on the board? Do you feel guilty that you just can't get going at the crack of dawn? What are your plans for the day?

2. Thanks Anna Leigh thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hummingbird check in

Definitely a hummingbird. Before retirement many mornings were started at 4:30 am. Yes mornings were beautiful but was I ever tired by evenings. No energy to enjoy much after work. I'm up at 8 but not really going before 10 and I am comfortable with that. At first I felt guilty that I didn't put in enough working time but no longer feel like that. I'm 70 with back pain and mobility issues and don't feel like I have to please anyone but myself. My afternoons are for me and my sewing room. I usually am putting up my stuff by 4:30 and time to think about fixing a meal, a fast and easy one. Bedtime is 9:30 or so. I have learned that if my body says it doesn't want to do or go someplace, it is ok to rest or just stay at home. I love being a hummingbird!

4. Thanks Anna Leigh, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Me? I detest early morning! If it is so dark out you need to turn lights on it is too early to get up! I usually get up at 7:30 and go to bed at midnight or 1 due to many years being a second shift worker. Recent changes at work now have me working some days at 6:30 a.m. Ugh!! How I hate that shift!! It's one thing to be up at 6:30 quite another thing to be actually on the job at that hour!

6. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I can never sleep past 5AM unless I'm really sick. Farmers daughter syndrome. But I see a lot of beautiful sunrises.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I switch between being a hummingbird and a night owl (depending on what's on my schedule) with very little effort. After 20+ years of being a lark when I was on active duty I was soooo ready for a change. I especially enjoy sunsets on a nice summer evening.

Today is packing for another week trip to the beach - and I have my EPP Kit ready to go!

9. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a lark - usually up by 5 or 6, sometimes even earlier. However it's my quiet time....have coffee, check email, Fb, this forum and the daily deal, maybe do a little online banking. Like Gramma Nurse I used to feel guilty for not hitting the floor running, but I got over that a long time ago. I'm 72 and I've worked long hours enough in my life - time to kick back and take it easy. I wish I could sleep later, but whenever I do happen to I feel like half the day is gone.

11. Thanks shirleyknot thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am a lark. Up every morning by 4 or 5 am. Gotta get hubby ready and off to work by 6. It is our quiet time for tea and coffee and my computer time for banking, online games and this forum. By 3 in the afternoon I am winding down and enjoy a quiet time afternoon. After work I grab a snack and usually relax watching food network until time to get dinner going. We are in bed by 8 and usually asleep by 9 unless something very very interesting is on TV. If I stay in bed later the 5 am I get a headache and also feel like I am playing catch up all day for time lost.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

13. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what I am. Tuesday - Friday I have to be up for work by 6am but will go to bed anytime between 11 and midnight. Saturday - Monday I am up between 7.30 and 8 am but will go to bed after midnight, sometimes as late as 1.30. So don't know if I am a night owl, a hummingbird or just a 'daft bird'!!!!

15. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a Hummingbird now. I used to be a Lark when I was raising kids and had a Hubby to get off to work. I was up at 6, got everyone ready and off by 7, and walked 2 miles. By 7:30 I was having my second cup of coffee and finishing the newspaper. Now I'm up sometime between 8 and 9, coffee and catching up on the computer, go to the gym 3 days a week. By noon, I'm worn out! But then, I used to be 40, 50, or 60! Now I'm almost 80, and the body and mind don't work as well as they used to!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a rooster. I had to go to work at 4 am to open the hotel bakery. I had a cop pull me over asking where I was going. I wish I could of thought to say to make you donuts. lol

And it was a hours drive so I had to get up at three.
    Last edited by Hulamoon; February 26th, 2017 at 10:30 PM.

Lorie

18. Thanks Anna Leigh, threadbndr, Catmom5 thanked for this post