Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default What type of batting do you use?

Hi,

Sorry I am just looking at batting, I've perviously just used what available at my local store but am now looking at different types online. I've seen one brand called green dream which is made from recycled plastic bottles which I think is really cool, its also a lot cheaper which is good, has anyone used it?

But I've also stumbled across fusible batting, you iron it and it stick together while you quilt, this sounds really really good as I've had trouble keeping the layers in place with a lap quilt let alone with a bedspread, is this any good

But then I'm sure I've seen Jenny use a spray that does the same thing although I havn't been able to find it

As always thank you for your wonderful wisdom

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What type of batting do you use?

I prefer warm n' natural.....don't like the spray as it gums up my needle....have never tried fusible batting but after using the spray I wouldn't even think to try it..just my opinion...and I would be afraid to try the green dream as well......would be afraid it would melt in the dryer! LOL I have used the bamboo batting and that one is all right too but I think it is expensive as well...hope this helps you a little bit...no offense taken if you ignore it....

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I will look at warm n' natural, thank you

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning
    I've tried several different bats over the past few years. I like warm and natural as well. I do hand quilting and it seems to work well for me. There are a few types of spray out there and some are better than others. I have used one that was horrid for gumming up needles. I have used one (can't remember the name) that was good for holding, repositioning and not hard to sew through either by hand or machine.
    I have also use the polyester batts with high loft/and or low loft. I find them fun to use from time to time depending on the project.
    Haven't heard of the recycled plastic batts - have used the bamboo in the past year and found nothing really remarkable about it. Hey, I just realized I have been no help whatsoever! Sorry.
    Blessings to you today.
    Sewing mends the soul.

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I stick to Warm & Natural or Warm & White because I like natural fibers in my quilts. I tried the spray and did NOT like it. I haven't tried the fusible batting and probably will not. Hobbs 80/20, which is 80% cotton and 20% poly, is also a good choice. I'm also very fond of wool batting (although it's pretty pricey) and I once invested in silk batting when I made a silk baby quilt for my first grandchild and it was a dream to work with. Good luck making your decision....Barb

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Warm and White or Warm and Natural!!! As Barb suggests, Hobbs 80/20 is good, too. Connecting Threads often has that on sale.
    I've tried the spray, but only to make coasters. Never used for quilts.....
    Good luck in your projects!
    Cynthia

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there. I use the bamboo blend most of the time. It's 50% cotton 50% bamboo. There isn't much difference between the bamboo and the 100% cotton. It is a little bit more environmentally friendly because the bamboo is a more sustainable product. You can also leave larger gaps in your quilting (up to 8") because the bamboo is a stronger fibre.

It really just depends what you can get your hands on easily. I do long arm quilting and a customer recently sent in some Hobbs wool batting. I steamed it to get the creases out and it pouffed up loads (I'm sure that isn't a technical term!). It made the quilting really clear and the finished quilt was very warm and cuddly. I think it's quite expensive compared to other kinds but it might be worth a thought if you live in a chilly area.
    Quilting through the dull times
    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also use Warm & White. The only spray adhesive I've used is the 505 and had no issues with gumming on my needle. I think most people that have used fusible batting have used it for totes or small items, not quilts.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Karen. I use Warm and Natural batting and the 505 Spray and Fix to spray baste my sandwich. I've had no problems gumming my needles when machine quilting. I also use fusible fleece or fusible interfacing, sometimes both when making tote bags and purses.
    Linda
    -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use the spray frequently when I do my quilts---I hate to pin. I think the spray works great--never had a problem. I have used the fusible batting before for small projects to large quilts and I loved it. Never had a problem with that either. I also use warm and natural alot.
    I am such a material girl!!!!! Nena