Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Advise on batting for a very warm lap quilt-help please!

Good thinking Preeti. I was thinking flannel backing too. Did I read somewhere that poly batting is warmer than the cottons? Not everyone likes them so I don't know if that is an option too. I made a very warm quilt for myself for the office (also use it on the bed on very cold nights) but I had used flannel front and back and then a poly batting. It does the trick for me and I use it a lot.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

jj-thanks for that advice. I do want a really warm quilt so that's good news for me!

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much to everybody! I have a southwestern print fleece that I really want to use. As it happened, I saw it on Amazon and had to have it. I will try wool on a future project-maybe even a wool blanket at I've heard other people use.

Pre-washing is a good point. I don't think I need to pre-wash this one with fleece (?) Regular quilting cotton on top, Warm & Plush batting, fleece backing. I plan to start on the top tomorrow. I have some concerns about fleece batting since it's very stretchy but I will see how it goes.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

No need to re-think. I used to quilt my quilts on my old Janome and it had no bigger of a throat space. I now quilt all my own quilts on my Bernina 440QE and frankly it's got a pretty small throat as well. I have recently finished up a double/queen quilt for my son and did it all on my home sewing machine.

You just have to be patient with it.
    🍄 Heather🍄

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I made a quilt for someone going thru chemo with batting inside and fleece as a backing. It is toasty warm for her.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I did 2 layers of poly batting once. Used a domestic machine. Made it quite puffy.
    I did spray baste, but not between the batting/batting layers, only the fabric/batting.
    Pictures on my blog: https://whatwerks.wordpress.com/2017...aring-9-patch/

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I love wool batting for a really warm quilt.
    Shelley

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If I can quilt nearly a double/full sized quilt on my little Bernina Bernette 80e anything is possible. It takes a bit of planning for the bigger quilts, but you can do it.

As for cold feet, I bought a pair of Snoozies fleece slippers and they are very cozy. Once I wore the bottoms out, I took them apart, and made a pattern from the pieces. I replaced the bottoms with the best parts of hubby's worn out jeans and an extra layer of fleece for the bottoms.
    I then created a pair with an inner liner that I filled with flax seeds. I pop those in the microwave for 30-45 seconds and my toes are all warm. They aren't made for walking around as they are not washable, but they are great for cold nights or aching feet. I imagine I could freeze them as well and use them as cooling packs.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

9. Thanks PrettyCurious thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyCurious View Post
    I did 2 layers of poly batting once. Used a domestic machine. Made it quite puffy.
    I did spray baste, but not between the batting/batting layers, only the fabric/batting.
    Pictures on my blog: https://whatwerks.wordpress.com/2017...aring-9-patch/
    Very pretty! And cozy. Wonderful to see a quilt come together-I'm inspired. Thanks so much.

Off topic....my machine may be small but it does do embroidery as well which seems fun for personalizing quilt squares. I'll have to see where that takes me.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that. I had hoped there were others here who quilted on home machines as well. And have those snoozie slippers that I plan to re-make as well!