Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Question Question on borders

I want to put a border on a quilt that is longer then 44 inches so I will have to piece the strips together. Any advise on where to have the seam of these two piece fall on the quilt will be appreciated. I'm new at this and it's the first time I'm making a quilt that will require a longer border.
    thank you!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Question on borders

don't make your seams near the corners, that will be too noticeable.... and when you make your seam make it like you do binding so that it is at an angle instead of straight across .....

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kelliedi View Post
    don't make your seams near the corners, that will be too noticeable.... and when you make your seam make it like you do binding so that it is at an angle instead of straight across .....
    My exact advice, good luck. I bet it turns out great!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A very experienced quilter at my quilt shop recommended using the lengthwise strip of fabric for borders. Of course it takes more fabric, but it stretches less, then you have no seams and leftovers for your stash. I guess that is good advice, I'm just passing it on. I did this for a quilt that was made from two jelly roll packs, so I
    already had a lot of money invested in it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I make a large size quilt I just connect the seam about 1/3 away from corners, but if I'm barely making it with fabric I don't worry that much where the seam is located. The one thing I do is off set the seams. Lower part of quilt on one side and upper part of quilt on the other side. I read that in a quilting book when I first started. The advise from the others is also good. : )
    Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

As long as you make the seam at a 45 degree angle, it really doesn't show, so it doesn't matter where it falls.

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

I like to use length of the fabric, too. However, that is a lot of extra fabric when making larger quilts. Mitering is fine unless you have a larger print where it would be noticeable if the design doesn't match up. In that case you need to cut straight across instead of mitering.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I try to buy enough fabric to cut borders lengthwise, but sometimes this is not possible. If you are using a large print, plaid or stripe fabric, you need to examine how the fabric is woven or printed as far as matching is concerned. Some prints are directional and the only way they will work well as a border is to cut them crosswise and join them with a straight across seam. Also, stagger the border seams so they aren't located in the same area on both sides of yoru quilt.

Borders can really pull your quilt together and they are definitely a design feature, so give them some thought before you add them. Barb

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your advise!

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

thank you all for your advise!