Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Backing Calculations

I was excited to see Jenny's tutorial today on the "Sweet Treats" Quilt and the new Moda recipes. But when I studied MSQC's shopping list for that particular quilt, it states that you need 2 1/2 yards of fabric for the backing - and this is supposedly a 78" X 94" quilt.

I'm questioning how they came up with that yardage amount - I suspect that if I order as they say, I'm gonna be disappointed when I'm ready for backing, and it makes me question all the other specs in the pattern. Does anybody have any insight into how they came up with that figure?

Thanks...

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Backing Calculations

If you were to use wide backing material, then 2 1/2 yards would be enough.

But as you noticed, the recommended fabric is not a wide backing material, and you would need 5 yards. Good catch!

Every so often, the PDF or the fabric requirements don't quite match up to what is really needed for these tutorials. I know that Jenny & her team try to give us accurate information, but they are only human after all, and will make mistakes. Most of the time, if you wait a few days (or weeks) before buying the fabric, and then go back to the YouTube channel and read the comments, someone has made note of any "oops" and it can save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The screen shot of the pdf says 2 1/2 yard backing (108") wide. The downloadable PDFs doesn't state that. Maybe they've updated since it first aired.
    Anita .....

"May you find peace while you piece" - Eleanor Burns

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed the yardage this morning when I watched it. It is not updated. They should state both ways - 5 yards of regular yardage or 2 1/2 yards of 108" yardage.
    Vonnie

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

This is my go-to for all kinds of calculations:

http://www.quiltersparadiseesc.com/Calculators.php

I really like that you can plug in your numbers to calculate borders (for instance) and it will carry your updated numbers forward to calculate backing and binding.
    I hope it helps!

Liz