Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default quilting table advice

So, I was trying to quilt a baby quilt yesterday - the shower is this Saturday. My machine sits on a former dining table we had in the basement and I have one of those plastic extension tables I bought for it. Everything sits up above the table top. You guessed it, the quilt keeps getting hooked on the edges and corners of the extension table making the quilting go much more difficult than it needed to be. My questions for all of you is do you have any recommendations on an relatively inexpensive, relatively small table that my sewing machine will fit down in so the quilting surface is flat and, hopefully, make it easier to quilt. Thanks for any recommendations you can make.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: quilting table advice

Be on the lookout for tables at thrift stores or check your local Freecycle yahoo group.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a folding adjustable height table from Costco and I use an adjustable height secretary chair. Might not work if your machine is really heavy. I have 2 tables actually. One I keep high for cutting but I can drop it down if I need extra space when quilting.
    Vernona

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Leah Day recommends this one

https://leahday.com/products/affordable-sewing-table

Leahs table looks a lot like this one on sale at Joanns

http://www.joann.com/homespun-gidget...8.html#start=1
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

5. Thanks Yanna thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you have an adjustable ironing board, try adjusting the height to the same as your extension table and place it next to your dining table. Then you can place the excess quilt on the left side on top of the ironing board. It's not foolproof, but it helps a lot, especially if you're crunched for time until you can get a proper set up.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link for some DIY ones: http://andreasnotebook.com/diy-sewing-table/
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

8. Thanks Yanna, DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharyn J View Post
    If you have an adjustable ironing board, try adjusting the height to the same as your extension table and place it next to your dining table. Then you can place the excess quilt on the left side on top of the ironing board. It's not foolproof, but it helps a lot, especially if you're crunched for time until you can get a proper set up.
    This what I do. My sewing area is not even 9x9, so everything has to have purpose. So my ironing board has many uses. Good luck trying to find what's best for you.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have an adjustable table that I have set my machine on with a sew easy table. I adjusted the height so that the sew easy table is at the height of the regular table behind it. Then, I put a small folding table down the side of the sew easy table making a big "L". There is a small gap between the sew easy and the other table, which I filled in with a box and covered with a piece of rip stop nylon which is really slick. This gives me huge space to lay out my quilts, cut and sew.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also use an ironing board right next to my sewing table. I adjust the height to my extension table. It works best if you have one of those silver silicone-metallic ironing board covers; the quilt sandwich slides better on that than if it's just cloth. You still have to be careful the quilt sandwich doesn't get caught on the edge, but it should be easier. It's important to support the quilt sandwich so none of it drapes over the edge of the table. Sometimes I throw mine up over my L. shoulder, or you can roll up the front edge to keep it on the table surface. You also can roll up the edges on the R. side where it's in the harp area.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Have been thinking of doing this to our extra kitchen table:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_KbgLTSfzUP...kah_Table1.jpg
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b