Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Lock Jazz

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Baby Lock Jazz

Does anyone own or know anything about the BabyLock Jazz?? Looked at one today. Loved the throat space, but I love my present machine ( Singer Quilter Confidence ). Price is almost too good to be true ($1100 ). Has few whistles and bells. Trying to figure out if it's worth it.
    WHEN THE STITCHES ARE PERFECT....THAT'S GOD'S WORK

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Baby Lock Jazz

Looking at its' specifications it doesn't look as though you can adjust the presser foot pressure and doesn't have a programmable needle up/needle down function? I really like those two options when I'm quilting and piecing....each to his own of course.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed it doesn't come with a walking foot. If that is important, you might want to ask what the price of one will be?

Jeannette

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't notice that, but you're right...it doesn't. Thanks, one more minus!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't. The lady said my foot "should" fit it. I also have a ruler foot and extension table on my machine. Plus a lot of bobbins since I thread paint on my machine too.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I went to a dealer to see one, and they didn't have it. They did point me to the Babylocks they did have, and I noticed while the needle to pillar [throat] space was listed as bigger on the jazz [in the specs], most of the simular Babylocks have a short bed to upper arm [or height] space. So I asked if the Jazz had a simular throat height, and they said yes. I didn't like it. My favorite Viking [21a named Victor] may only be 8 inches wide, but it has 6 inches in height, and I don't want to go shorter, even if it is longer. I have another Viking [Emerald] that is only 5 inches in throat height, and I find it hard to see what I am doing.
    I don't care about needle down, although Emmy has it, and 'fix' which gives you a starter knot, and all the other little tricks Emmy does, if the throat space is less than what I already have, in any direction. Emmy was only purchased for her fancy stitches, which she does do beautifully, but I can't fully enjoy her without being able to see what I'm doing. I am getting my money's worth from her, though, cuz I bought her second hand.
    So my point is, try the machine out. Sit down, and see if there is any annoyance at all, because anything you don't like now, will only bug you more after you take it home. Be picky! It's your money, so hang on to it until you find one you love everything about it.

7. Thanks MSN, Claire Hallman, cindyinohio thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was ready to buy the Jazz in December. I loved the throat space. I sat with it for 2 hours and kept getting bad bobbin tension on their demonstrator. They told me so many people played with it that that was probably the problem and that when I had it at home I would figure where it would be set. They had one that had been traded in only 30 days old and they offered it to me for $899. I told them to go get it and let me sit with it for a while. Well, it was even worse. The store owner came and tried for over an hour to adjust the tension. Then she said, she would sell me one "new in box" for the same price. I said, lets sew on it. More frustration over the tension setting. I finally told her that I was not mechanical and that the machine would not work for me. At that point I had spent over 6 hours in her store. I told her I thought I would just buy the Viking 960Q that had the 10 inch throat if she would sell me the demo model that I had been sewing on and throw in a sew easy table. Deal done. I couldn't make the Jazz work eventhough, I really wanted it to.

9. Thanks DeniseSm thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

My Babylock dealer is not impressed with this machine. I can't believe they didn't put needle down on the machine. I too was impressed by the throat width, but I'm not buying it.

11. Thanks cindyinohio thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    I was ready to buy the Jazz in December. I loved the throat space. said, lets sew on itI sat with it for 2 hours and kept getting bad bobbin tension on their demonstrator. They told me so many people played with it that that was probably the problem and that when I had it at home I would figure where it would be set. They had one that had been traded in only 30 days old and they offered it to me for $899. I told them to go get it and let me sit with it for a while. Well, it was even worse. The store owner came and tried for over an hour to adjust the tension. Then she said, she would sell me one "new in box" for the same price. I . More frustration over the tension setting. I finally told her that I was not mechanical and that the machine would not work for me. At that point I had spent over 6 hours in her store. I told her I thought I would just buy the Viking 960Q that had the 10 inch throat if she would sell me the demo model that I had been sewing on and throw in a sew easy table. Deal done. I couldn't make the Jazz work eventhough, I really wanted it to.
    WOW! The demonstrator was having a problem with the tension on the one I saw. She finally said " Well you know what I mean" and went on with something else on the machine.

13. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your input. I wasn't really sold on this machine and I'm glad I came on here.I think it falls under the " If it sounds too good to be true, It probably is" category. I'm staying with my Singer. She's done everything I've asked. I've quilted Cal Kings on her.
    I haven't logged into this site for a while and I see what I've been missing. Sure beats all the nonsense on FB. I'm back!!!!