Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Baby Lock Jazz

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Baby Lock Jazz

Just saying, this machine does not have needle down which seems to be a really silly omission. When the machine was first released, I spoke candidly to my Babylock dealer and she told me not to buy it.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

ok I'm going to ask...what is needle down? Is it when you start to sew your needle is in the fabric? My machine does that so maybe I have been taking it for granted that all machines do that or am I missing something. (please don't LOL)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Georgie Girl View Post
    ok I'm going to ask...what is needle down? Is it when you start to sew your needle is in the fabric? My machine does that so maybe I have been taking it for granted that all machines do that or am I missing something. (please don't LOL)
    I'd never laugh....no silly questions...EVER! Needle down is a setting on your machine where when you stop sewing, your needle always stays in the down (into the fabric) position. It's a great feature to pivot!
    If that's what your describing for your machine, then yeah! You've got it!
    Anita

4. Thanks giig21, Lyndaj thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased the babylock jazz a couple of months ago and love it for its throat size. However I am having a problem controlling the speed. Maybe I have a heavy foot. Any suggestions. I want to use it for free motion quilting but can't seem to move fabric fast enough to coordinate with the speed.
    Last edited by luvrazz; August 19th, 2017 at 01:39 PM.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

That takes practice, lots of it. I too have the Jazz and in love with is. I have FMQ and it is easy once you learn to control speed. I put my foot pedal back more than usual so I can't put metal to pedal and it has worked out really well for me, give it a try.
    Gary,

"No regrets, only learning opportunities."

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a Jazz machine because I loved the 12" arm, also Jenny endorsed it. I didn't try it out at the store. After a number of hours of working on the tension I solved my problem. The upper thread tension was the problem I encountered . I set the length and width of the stitches I wanted, I used the free motion/darning pressure foot, and I didn't lower the feed dog. I then set the upper thread tension to a very high number (8) and voila! I completed my little project and I'm so proud. You can't use a walking foot with free motion. I was surprised about lowering the feet dog since I'm new at this. We'll see if I have anymore success. I'm keeping it!

8. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post