Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Triangles left over from trimming binding

Quote Originally Posted by snippet View Post
    I save them for dog pillows. Sandy had a great idea and I stole it from her. I find an old t-shirt, sew the bottom closed, sew the arms closed too. Then hang it near my cutting mat (I used one of those pretty lingerie hangars) and drop the small bits and pieces into the t-shirt. When it gets full I will sew up the top, cut off the excess and VIOLA! instant dog bed.

I made one for myself and one for my quilting bee. They love it. Even one of my friends granddaughters love it. They come over on the weekends and chop up whatever bits of leftover fabric and batting for the beds. Then they go with grandma to to shelter and donate it. Great project for the kids - gets them involved in "sewing", recycling, and donating to the shelter. Win win win all around.
    That's a cute idea. When I go to my shelter they have several dogs in one kennel and don't provide beds.It looks like they are always washing them down.Maybe they do now so I will give them a call. I know the cat side has beds.
    Last edited by Hulamoon; February 10th, 2017 at 06:41 PM.

Lorie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I keep some for starters and the rest for dog pillows.
    "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
    Hillary Clinton

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't save triangles that small. They go directly into the waste basket which is right by my machine.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I recently sewed a bunch of binding strips together to make a fabric clothesline basket. With my triangle leftovers I made a ticker tape quilt/wall hanging. LOVE IT !!!

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I use them to make greeting cards. I glue the shapes in place, then sometimes I will stitch around them to make them look quiltier.
    Last edited by Rock; February 10th, 2017 at 11:28 PM.

6. Thanks bubba thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Triangles left after trimming joined binding

I use my fons & porter triangle trimmer on them and trim to same size; then use to make tiny squares to be used in Leader/Ender challenges, etc.
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snippet View Post
    I save them for dog pillows. Sandy had a great idea and I stole it from her. I find an old t-shirt, sew the bottom closed, sew the arms closed too. Then hang it near my cutting mat (I used one of those pretty lingerie hangars) and drop the small bits and pieces into the t-shirt. When it gets full I will sew up the top, cut off the excess and VIOLA! instant dog bed.

I made one for myself and one for my quilting bee. They love it. Even one of my friends granddaughters love it. They come over on the weekends and chop up whatever bits of leftover fabric and batting for the beds. Then they go with grandma to to shelter and donate it. Great project for the kids - gets them involved in "sewing", recycling, and donating to the shelter. Win win win all around.
    If you would tuck the sleeves in at the shoulder hole seam and stitch/topstitch the hole closed, the sleeves would then act as extra stuffing!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

9. Thanks snippet thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Love the TShirt idea as a catchall for the scraps. I'll have to check with my local shelters to see if they will take them as beds for the animals or for pet carriers. Here's a national organization I found (really don't know much about it) but it would be easy to create these "snuggles", as they call them, from scraps and the TShirt or an errant older pillowcase. https://www.snugglesproject.org/sew/...w-details.html

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Besides dog pillows which is a great idea, our local charity quilting group collects all cloth and batting scraps to make pillows for hospital patients. You know, the kind of pillow one grabs to hold on your tummy after surgery, or to prop an arm or leg on. Our local hospital loves these and so do the patients who get to take them home.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

That is the same thing that I do. Use them as starters and enders. I keep them in a little baggie next to my machine. When they get to full of stitches in the waste basket they go.