Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default This picture just made me cry

Lorie

2. Thanks Midge, catmama635, Sheena, Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: This picture just made me cry

Pit bulls get a bad rap, but they are one of the sweetest, loving, loyal dogs I have ever known.

We had custody of our daughters for a couple years. One year when we were in Hawaii, she ran away on my birthday, July 27. We came home a few weeks later and looked all over for her. The pound had her picture, animal control had her picture, police had her picture. Graveyard units would buy hamburgers and drive around trying to find her, but she was so afraid of strangers she would not come to them.

On September 5, I decided I was done looking for her. That included trips to the pound everyday after work to check for her. The next day, September 6, was MM's birthday...exactly six weeks after she ran. I was standing in Hallmark picking out his card when my phone rang. This lady starts talking about how she thinks she had my dog and then went on to tell me how it came to be. I got her address and drove to her house. Sure enough! She had my dog! When she heard my voice, she flew at me like a bullet and put her feet on my shoulders and gave me a hug. Then she dropped on her back for a belly rub. She never left my side again. If I was around, she was always at my side, even when Heather was able to take her back. Sadly, we lost her late last year when she crashed into a fence and seriously injured herself....I sure do miss her.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

4. Thanks Sylvia H, Sheena thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This happened in my back yard. A friend of mine is related to the young woman who adopted this dog, and I also posted this picture on my Facebook page. Most pitties are this affectionate. I once fostered a pit bull, and when she wasn't playing with my rottweiler, she was leaning against me in some way. (Well, except when she was taking naps in the baking hot sun! - another obsession of these dogs.) These dogs are not naturally, nor instinctually, aggressive. That is brought about by human interaction. And, when removed from a negative environment, most of them resort to their natural, affectionate personality. There are excellent pit bull rescues that will evaluate these dogs and match them to the appropriate owner.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    Thank for posting this, Lorie! "Pitties" definitely get a bad rap due to the media and ignorance. My Dottie is the most affectionate dog I have ever owned. She is my fur baby and she is part of the family. I will admit, Dottie is not very social to strangers and she does protect her family/home. The breed does take a devoted and committed owner/family to show these dogs the love and structure they need.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hal-dottie selfie.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	139908
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

7. Thanks Midge thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love pitbulls and bred them for a number of years. They are a much misunderstood breed that are not by nature vicious or aggressive. Bad/cruel pet owners are to blame for the bad rap pits get. If I didn't have Scotties I would have pitties again.

9. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

I live in Valrico which is NE of Tampa, FL.
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thread! I have always had rescues: horses and dogs. I have 3 pits and we seemed to have rescued each other. One of my favorite sayings is that dogs are not our whole life but they make our lives whole. Enjoy and celebrate your special fur baby!