Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy free motion quilting, I need help

I have a problem with my free motion; my fabric don't slip. I have to push hard. I have a supreme slider and it does not change anything. Do you know what I can do. With a small piece it is better but with a large quilt it is very hard. Help please. Excuse my english I am better in french.
    Carmen

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: free motion quilting, I need help

Making sure the entire quilt is supported and not hanging off your table is important. Try arranging tables, chairs, ironing board, your lap,, whatever you've got around your sewing machine so that there is less resistance
    when you maneuver the quilt.

3. Thanks Midge thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Noemie

Maybe we can figure out what is going on. There a lots of folks here that FMQ.

What foot are you using? It should be a FMQ foot or the darning foot. It shouldn't actually touch your quilt but sort of hover near the top of it.

What machine do you have? If someone has the same machine, then they would know the best way to do it.

Is your quilt dragging on something? You need a lot of flat space for the quilt to rest on it. I have my machine set up so there are two big tables together.

Monique speaks French, maybe she can help. I am terrible at French and would only confuse you if I tried. LOL

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A couple questions: Is your machine recessed in a sewing table so you have a flat surface? Or do you have a Sew Steady Extension table that fits your machine? Did you wax either of these surfaces prior to putting down the Supreme Slider? It's important to have the right working surface. Maybe you could post pics of your sewing work area so we get a better idea of how to help you. Another question: How large is the quilt you're working on? The bigger the quilt, the more difficult it will be. It's very important to not let any of the quilt drape over the edge of the table/quilting surface area. It needs to be supported by table surfaces & your arms. When I was quilting with my DSM I sometimes rested the quilt on my shoulders to keep it from dragging. I now have a Baby Lock Tiara II LA table model quilting machine. If there is extra quilt sandwich in front of me, I roll it up to keep it from drooping over the edge of the table.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I habe the Pfaff Performance 5.0. If somebody have the same I would like how you set your machine and the foot you use
    Carmen

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you dropping your feed dogs?? I don't have the same machine, but I have made the mistake of not dropping my feet dogs.

9. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using quilting gloves? They give your hands traction on the fabric. I am still new to FMQ, but they made a big difference for me.

11. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It is so important to not have ANY drag on the quilt. Even the smallest amount of quilt hanging off an edge with no support will created drag, and make it very difficult to move the quilt.

13. Thanks Midge thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

For any DSM, if you want to do FMQ, you must have a darning foot or a FMQ foot. Your stitch length should be set to 0. Definitely drop the feed dogs. I'm not familiar with the Pfaff.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have the Performance 5.0 but I do have the Creative Sensation. If you go on youtube and put in Pfaff Performance 5.0 Village Sewing has a tutorial on this machine that is quite good. About 42 minutes into the video he explains setting the machine up for FMQ. When you select FMQ the machine drops the feed dogs automatically. I like the Open Toe Free-motion foot and the Open-Toe Free-Motion Spring Foot. Both of these were purchased from my local store.

Leah Day also has a video on YouTube explaining quilting big quilts on small machines. It was very helpful for me when I first started. Especially about managing the bulk of the quilt and not letting the quilt drop off the table and create drag.

Hope this was helpful. Have fun.
    Ann

16. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post