Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: free motion quilting, I need help

Je n'ai pas cette machine à coudre. Quel est vraiment le problème: le quilt est trop lourd, ou bien il se trouve trop enserré entre l'aiguille et les dents? Celles-ci doivent être immobilisées: il y a des machines qui permettent de les abaisser, autrement il faut régler la longueur du point sur zéro. Comment est le pied presseur? Est-ce un modèle à ressort? J'ai trouvé que le mien fonctionnait bien mieux après lui avoir appliqué une petite goutte d'huile Singer pour machines à coudre. Il pourrait aussi peut-être s'agir d'un problème de tension du fil? Si celui-ci est trop serré cela freine le mouvement. Et encore une possibilité: le type de fil et la grosseur et forme de l'aiguille.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JulieC View Post
    Are you using quilting gloves? They give your hands traction on the fabric. I am still new to FMQ, but they made a big difference for me.
    same for me, I did not think quilting gloves would make a big difference but they did. I bought the Machingers quilting gloves but their are several brands/types available.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Judy View Post
    Are you dropping your feed dogs?? I don't have the same machine, but I have made the mistake of not dropping my feet dogs.
    You don't need to drop your feed dogs if you can adjust your stitch length to 0. This will disengage the feed dogs.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I have this machine. Okay. There are a couple of things.
    1) Which setting are you using? When you open the FMQ box selection, you have 3 options. If you choose the bottom one (this is the one you use with the darning foot the machine came with which looks like a weird piece of plastic ) there is a little "step out feature" kind of like you see with the foot pedal speed button. This step out feature allows you to adjust the height of the foot. It is preset to -5. You may need to raise yours up a few to maybe -2. That will raise up the foot height so that when it is engaged, it will not be pressing down tightly to the quilt sandwich. It will hover. Then you should be able to move the quilt around.
    2) Another way to do this is with a different foot altogether. You know those ruler feet you get with those ruler kits? I would only recommend Westalee because they are the only ones that recognize that the Pfaff Performance has a funny height - we are neither high shank or low shank. We are "mid-shank". So if you ever buy one of those sets, you will get a metal ruler foot. When you attach this foot, you have to unscrew the lower foot holder and attach this ruler foot instead. However, this foot has a channel for that screw, so you don't have to push the foot all the way up the channel and lock it into a higher position, or have it basically sitting on the throat plate locking it into the lower position before you screw it in. Instead, go get a dime. Put it underneath the ruler foot. Then screw the foot on. That dime will create the necessary space to allow the quilt sandwich to move around. If your batting is too thick or you are using different and fluffier fabrics - move it it up t a quarter. Basically, you are setting the foot height and using a coin to establish it. Screwing it in securely will hold it into place.
    Incidentally, I had the Supreme Slider. Mine keeps moving around. I've sewn threw it twice and now it's just useless. I'm going to have to do something else or get a bigger slider for when I'm sewing and I'm unlikely to move it around. Machining gloves are a must though no matter what.

5. Thanks Claire Hallman, DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

quilt gloves are helpful, especially when learning
    Make the cat get off the quilt...he' s pretty heavy to move with the quilt. (lol)
    drop the feed dogs
    Everything at 0
    bunch the quilt up all over the table if your table isn't large enough to keep it from dragging
    Put both hands on the quilt with your fingers spread out like you are showing 5 as a child
    You have gotten lots of advice. Happy quilting

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope everyone's advise has helped and solved your problem. I can't add any more than what others have said. So be sure to let us know if you are able to quilt without any more problems. We are here to help if any more problems arise.