• other

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best sewing machine for piecer, large harp, sturdy and inexpensive

would love to know what's a great machine and not too expensive, or what is a machine worth paying a certain amount for?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best sewing machine for piecer, large harp, sturdy and inexpensive

I just bought a Viking 960Q and it is a piecers dream with its automatic scissors and push button run features. But, I'm certain all new machines are equipped with great features.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    I just bought a Viking 960Q and it is a piecers dream with its automatic scissors and push button run features. But, I'm certain all new machines are equipped with great features.
    how much did it cost and what kind of distance between the needle and the right side (Harp size)?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Singer S16, straight stitch machine, needle up/down, scissors, fast! 9" harp, mechanical machine. Look for sales on Amazon and the Singer website. It is a Janome 1600p clone. Many of us got it for under $500, even though the regular price on Amazon is $999.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
    Singer S16, straight stitch machine, needle up/down, scissors, fast! 9" harp, mechanical machine. Look for sales on Amazon and the Singer website. It is a Janome 1600p clone. Many of us got it for under $500, even though the regular price on Amazon is $999.
    Still on sale at the Singer site:

https://www.singerstore.com/machines...g-machine.html

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
    Thanks. Does it free motion quilt? I would think not. Single stitch throat plates are supposed to be good for something, Maybe free motion?

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by June56 View Post
    Thanks. Does it free motion quilt? I would think not. Single stitch throat plates are supposed to be good for something, Maybe free motion?
    It does indeed. It comes with a darning plate/free motion foot as well as a quarter inch foot. Also has needle down, needle threader, thread cutter, knee lifter and an independent bobbin winding system. This machine is actually a clone of a Janome 1600 so I use a lot of accessories intended for that machine with it without any problem. I have my S16 sitting on a Grace SR2 frame and it works very well.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but when large harp is involved, nothing is inexpensive. 10" and up equals $2,000 - $4,000 and up. Without considering money, my answer would be a Bernina 700 series.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just voted for Babylock. I have 3, a Rachel for taking to classes (small harp) Espire (7" harp) and Crown Jewel (18" harp).

Love them all.

Just wanted to let you know, the Sweet Sixteen is made by Handiquilter and is a longarm (both sit down and on a frame) and has a 16" harp - strictly for quilting - not piecing.
    Vonnie

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vonnie View Post
    I just voted for Babylock. I have 3, a Rachel for taking to classes (small harp) Espire (7" harp) and Crown Jewel (18" harp).

Love them all.

Just wanted to let you know, the Sweet Sixteen is made by Handiquilter and is a longarm (both sit down and on a frame) and has a 16" harp - strictly for quilting - not piecing.
    How much is a Crown Jewel? Do you prefer to use the small machine for piecing