Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Did your strips all come out to be the same length on the Stacked Quilt?

I just finished putting together the strips for the Stacked Quilt that is in the Block magazine.
    The print pieces were to be cut 8 inches long and the white were 10 inches long. For some reason I'm seeing some varying lengths with the strips once I sew them back together. Looks like I'm going to have to use that laser beam rule to get it straight before I put the border on. Did anyone else have that problem?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Did your strips all come out to be the same length on the Stacked Quilt?

Check your seAm allowances to make sure they are all the same and thAt all your pieces were cut the same.

If they are all sewn, you can trim to same width.

Good luck

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Did your strips all come out to be the same length on the Stacked Quilt?

Not sure if this is what you mean but I have noticed that fabric is often different widths from selvage to selvage even from the same manufacturer.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

This was made with a jelly roll of prints and one of solid white. The instructions said to cut the print strips in eight inch rectangles and the white in ten inch rectangles. Then I sewed four of each back together, starting with a print and ending with a solid. Then I had to sew both ends together in a loop. At that point you pick a solid rectangle and cut it into anywhere you desire as long as it's at least two inches from the seams. Then after I got them all done, I sewed them together side to side. That's when I discovered they are not all the same length. Which means I'll have to square the ends up before I can put the border on. I guess I get to try the laser beam square that I heard about on this forum to try to make the edges straight. I asked a friend who had done this one and she said she had the same problem. I just don't understand how it could happen because I was so careful with my 1/4 inch seam allowance.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe some of them got stretched out a little. I just watched the tute and it is handled a lot.

Lorie

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Could be, I guess that they were stretched a little, but some are 1/2 inch different!

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Did you double check to make sure all your strips were cut 8" and 10" ? I find that sometimes, I cut a group of 4 strips 1/2 or even 1/4" off without realizing it until things don't match up the way they should.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the question, I'm planning on making this quilt and now I know to be extra careful with the cutting and measuring.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

No, I didn't go back and check the strips, but was so careful. Guess if I ever do this again or anything like this, I will measure everything before I start!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Also check your pressing technique...the pieces can stretch more than you'd think. I learned that one the hard way.