• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DeniseSm
    Missouri Star
    • Nov 2013

Re: Facebook GRR!

Originally posted by quiltsRfun View Post
    DH created an account just last week and didn't have to do any of that. Are you sure this isn't a bogus Facebook site?
    Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Every time I hit "Create Account" it says I have to use my real name that is used in everyday life. I am using my real name and my real birth date which are on multiple government documents. I am baffled why Facebook thinks it is not my real name. I got my DH to help me clear all my Facebook cookies, and restarted my computer. Same problem. Following the links sends me to this page where I have to submit photo proof of my identity and birth date

I tried changing my true last name from Smart to a made up name of "Simple" in case my last name was the problem. Nope it still says I have to upload photo proof of my identity and birth date.

This isn't happening to other people??? Why me?

I think Facebook thinks I am my husband David. When I hit the Facebook link in this post Facebook says "Hi David." I want to Create my own Facebook page without having to upload photo proof of my identity and birth date.
    Last edited by DeniseSm; January 28, 2017, 01:33 PM.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• K. McEuen
      Super Moderator
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post

I think Facebook thinks I am my husband David. When I hit the Facebook link in this post Facebook says "Hi David." I want to Create my own Facebook page without having to upload photo proof of my identity and birth date.
      That right there is the issue. If it still thinks you are David, then all of your cookies have not been cleared.

Try this, go to Facebook with a different browser. If David always logs in with Chrome, try using Firefox Or Opera, something that he has never used before just so you have a clean browser for the account set up.
      K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

• Mimis-quilts
        Missouri Star
        • Mar 2011

I stay on facebook to keep up with the kids...none of them live where we live.
        Right now it has turned into a Political Hotspot! I am soooo sick of politics and everything Trump! Wish there was a way to block anything that has to do with politics.
        LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

• DeniseSm
          Missouri Star
          • Nov 2013

Augh!!! My husband beat on the computer for an hour, downloaded new browsers, we even tried using my Smartphone. No go.

We finally resorted to making up a new fake name, a new gmail account and a fake birthday. That Facebook accepted. Something not right about that!

So I now have a Facebook account, of a sort.

I think my head is going to explode.
          Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• K. McEuen
            Super Moderator
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Mimis-quilts View Post
            I stay on facebook to keep up with the kids...none of them live where we live.
            Right now it has turned into a Political Hotspot! I am soooo sick of politics and everything Trump! Wish there was a way to block anything that has to do with politics.
            There is an add on called F.B. Purity. You can set it up to block word specific things. I fnially added it about 3 weeks before the election. I still see some, but not near as many as I did without it. http://www.fbpurity.com/

Before you speak,
            T - is it TRUE?
            H - is it HELPFUL?
            I - is it INSPIRING?
            N - is it NECESSARY?
            K - is it KIND?

Comment

• PrettyCurious
              The Guild President
              • Mar 2016

Were you trying to use your hubby's or a shared email account? That might be why also.

Anywho, now you can go in and change your name, or add your real name as a nick name so your friends will know it's you.

I get 2 sets of birthday greetings. One on my birthday from friends who know it, and one on the day that FB tells everyone it's my birthday. That ain't a bad thing. LOL

Plus If someone tries to hack your account, or create a mirror account then tries to friend all your friends, they can ask him/or her when your birthday is, and they'll be busted. A friend of mine had this happen and I shut him down. She is a paster, and when I got a friend request from someone who started a new account using her name, I asked him who married me. He said he was offended I would ask, and I told him [freinds name] would never be offended. Anyway, my friend had married us, and I knew he was an imposter, so I reported him.
              Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

• K. McEuen
                Super Moderator
                Missouri Star
                • Jan 2011

Hmmm, I looked up your name and there are several with the same name on Facebook already. If any of them have had issues with people trying to duplicate their accounts in the past that might explain why you are having issues. The only other thing I can think of is to try your first name, maiden name and last name to create an account to see if that might work.

Before you speak,
                T - is it TRUE?
                H - is it HELPFUL?
                I - is it INSPIRING?
                N - is it NECESSARY?
                K - is it KIND?

Comment

• mommadeb
                  Missouri Star
                  • Dec 2011

Wow-crazy. Uploading a photo to FB does not prove it's really you though. You could upload some random Jane Doe picture from the internet. They would never know. But I don't blame you, I would not have bothered either to sign up.

Comment

• kaydee
                    The Guild President
                    • Feb 2014

I think I know why they are doing that now. Just the other day I got a friend request from someone whom I'm already friends with. The imposter had my friend's pic and profile info. The scam is that people who have tons of friends don't realize they're already friends with the person and so they accept the friend request from the imposter. The imposter friend then tells the person who accepted them as a friend that they are in dire need of help (read $$) and they promise to pay them back, etc, etc,. People are apparently falling for the scam and losing a lot of money. I immediately reported the imposter to facebook, and within a couple of hours they closed the account.

The question remains, how did they get the account if they had to have an ID? I don't know. I haven't researched it. However, I'm assuming that once these scammers get an account (any account), they can change the name and profile.

Sad that we have to go through all of this, but I really think the goal is to protect people, rather than just collect info.

Comment

• grammaterry
                      Missouri Star
                      • Dec 2015

I've had a facebook acct for years, but haven't been there for at least two years. I find them to be terribly invasive. I have decided that if my friends and family want to socialize, I have a phone and they can call me or answer theirs when I call them. I have the ability to text and I don't want to be notified of their lives on a bulletin board.
                      success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
                      Terry of NC

Comment

• shirleyknot
                        Banned
                        Missouri Star
                        • Sep 2014

Yes. I have email and a telephone. If you don't care enough about me to get personal with one or the other, I probably don't care what you are up to.

Comment

• Lyndaj
                          The Guild President
                          • Dec 2015

That must be a U.S. thing. I didn't have to do that.

Comment

• cv quilter
                            Missouri Star
                            • Feb 2015

I had a FB account years ago only because it was a way to keep up with family spread around the country and grandkids here local. My account was hacked....and I deleted my account. Don't need it.
                            A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

• Lisap
                              Shiny Thimble
                              • Jun 2016

I set up my Facebook account when my pastor knew more of what my children were doing then me. My sons were all in the military around the word, so they couldn't just pick up a phone and call. So I signed up. Really don't use it much, except to see pictures of my grandchildren, and see pictures of Norway, were my oldest son is currently. Don't just add anyone who asks, only people I really know and what to talk with. Don't give them that id, like someone said, use a different spelling, and you should be fine. I have turned most of my settings to private, to keep my info personal. My Daughter-in-law's page anyone can see her pictures (my two grandchildren), not safe, but she won't listen to me.

Comment

• buckeyequilter
                                Missouri Star
                                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                                You aren't missing a single thing by NOT signing up - not the best place in the world to be (ask me how I know, since I spend way too much time wasting away there!!)
                                I'm only on FB for the entertainment
                                Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                                I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Working...
                                X