Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default WIP - 1/26/17 - Quilting is the Answer

Quilting is the answer - I don't care what the question is!

Hello all! Sorry for posting late! I have been preoccupied with "other stuff" and let Wednesday slip by without starting a new thread. So preoccupied, unfortunately, that I haven't been doing anything in my sewing room over the last week. I need to get back to my projects!

Today, I am meeting my sister for lunch. She has some gift cards for Applebee's, so today's lunch will be her treat. She is also a quilter, so maybe she will inspire me to get back to my projects. Now, I have to go, as I have a lot to get done before I leave for lunch.

I hope you are all having a great week - and let us know what you are doing.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WIP - 1/26/17 - Quilting is the Answer

I loaded up on variegated thread on a Black Friday sale. Now I have to figure out how to work with them. My first challenge was what color of thread do you put in the bobbin? After some experimentation I found that one shade darker than the lightest color works best for me. It is still lighter than the medium shade, and much lighter than the darkest shade. For my first experiment I am trying to create the impression or rain by using three shades of blue variegated thread using Leah Days Flowing Lines motif. The first 1/3 of the quilt will be the lightest blue variegated, the middle the middle blue, and the last third the darkest variegated blue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3201.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	139469
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

3. Thanks Sylvia H, lourixe thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Denise, love your choices on the variegated thread. Your plan for this quilt will be gorgeous!
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sylvia, so sorry you haven't been able to get into the sewing mode this week. I only hope that the "other stuff" is good stuff, and hope you enjoy your time with your sister.

I finally finished the binding on my flannel log cabin quilt last night, just need to give it a wash to remove all the quilting stencil marks before posting a picture. This one was a kit, and I was surprised by how much extra fabric was included in the kit. I have enough left over that I can make another smaller (baby size) quilt. Would only need to buy backing material.

Spent a little time this morning straightening my sewing area (which fortunatly wasn't in bad shape), and deciding what project I wanted to work on next.

I've been wanting to do Jenny's "Prairie Flower" quilt for a long time, so I chose the fabrics I wanted to use, and will be working on that over the next several weeks piecing the top.

Then again, I've got my DIL's quilt that only needs a bit more quilting and binding then it'll be done so maybe I should just hunker down and finish that first.

Oh decisions decisions decisions! No wonder I have so many UFO's.

6. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Hope everybody's week is going well.

I'm working on my Crumb Baskets wall hanging/bed topper this week. I have three weeks to get the quilting done on it if I want to get the binding put on at my monthly visit to quilting day at my church. I still have the corners and the borders yet to do.

8. Thanks Sylvia H, kimsophia, lourixe thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that kits from Connecting Threads and Fat Quarter Shop have much extra fabric. I had two snowman kits from FQS and was able to make three quilts. Quite a bargain when purchasing at 50% off!!

If I was you I would finish my DIL's quilt before starting another. It's a good way to start the year, finishing UFO's.

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline T. View Post
    Sylvia, so sorry you haven't been able to get into the sewing mode this week. I only hope that the "other stuff" is good stuff, and hope you enjoy your time with your sister.

I finally finished the binding on my flannel log cabin quilt last night, just need to give it a wash to remove all the quilting stencil marks before posting a picture. This one was a kit, and I was surprised by how much extra fabric was included in the kit. I have enough left over that I can make another smaller (baby size) quilt. Would only need to buy backing material.

Spent a little time this morning straightening my sewing area (which fortunatly wasn't in bad shape), and deciding what project I wanted to work on next.

I've been wanting to do Jenny's "Prairie Flower" quilt for a long time, so I chose the fabrics I wanted to use, and will be working on that over the next several weeks piecing the top.

Then again, I've got my DIL's quilt that only needs a bit more quilting and binding then it'll be done so maybe I should just hunker down and finish that first.

Oh decisions decisions decisions! No wonder I have so many UFO's.
    Robin
    My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

10. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am really happy that I can cross stitch again. No more vertigo! I ordered the directions for another sampler by the same artist because I want to swap out some of the hardanger cutwork stitches in this Wysteria sampler and substitute other stitches. If you scroll about halfway down the following page, you will see white roses on a ecru-brownish linen. I'm interested in adding the bottom row of S-shaped figures and the section with eyelets and triangles just above the ribbon insert, but in colors to match my current work.

https://indystitch.wordpress.com/201...inions-needed/

Things are progressing well and I might have to finish it before starting next month's finishing group item, whatever that will be. I had about two weeks in this month that I just couldn't see to sew.

12. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

It's been another crazy busy work week for me, so no time/energy in the evenings for sewing. I worked from home yesterday & got a few more rounds of spiral quilting done on my sisters quilt. But my tension was off so rip rip rip :-/

I really like how it's turning out but holy moly, spiraling with a walking foot is laborious. I wish I had realized sooner that the spacing was too close, lol , and I'd be done by now!

DH surprised me with a Supreme Slider so now I have no more excuses for not learning FMQ! The downside is my machine is due for her annual checkup so she may be gone for a week or more. The up side is I have my grandma's Featherweight that my mom had cleaned up & serviced so I hope I can finish my sisters quilt Saturday & start playing with "Katie" on Sunday. I've got a lap quilt planned for my mom & I want to piece it on the featherweight - she'd really love that.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Messing up big time. First I had an epic fail trying to create a Facebook account because it wants me to upload a photo id. Too intimating and invasive. I can't cope. Went back to my quilting room and I can't concentrate to quilt. This is the third time I have had to get my seam ripper out in the last hour. I accidentally folded the quilt under stuffing it through my machine and quilted a double layer together for a long ways this time. How did I not feel the difference?

Sigh. I see more chocolate in my future.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

15. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I completed the quilt tops for a set of twins due in February. So my goal for this weekend is to quilt four baby quilts. I will be using ProStitcher with my Fusion frame. I also finished piecing the NYE 2016 quilt top. If I have enough time this weekend I'm planning to pullout all the completed tops I have and organize them in to be quilted order.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. Happy sewing.
    Anita G.

17. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post