Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie

I just discovered this forum. I am working full time but hope to retire in the next few years to spend my time between my Bernina and my grand kids. I do machine quilting and embroidery (sort of) as the machine is smarter than me!! Without much free time, I find myself only purchasing pre cut quilt kits now. I have some older BOM from McKenna Ryan that I will probably sell on Ebay because I just don's have the time to cut all of that out. Does anyone else feel the same about pre cut quilts? I also went to the Houston Quilt Show this past November.... it was like CandyLand to a diabetic and I discovered pre cut wool felt kits. Well all the above was probably TMI......

2. Thanks songbird857 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Newbie

Hello! and Welcome When you say pre cut quilt kits, do you mean there are kits out there where the fabric is already cut up for you? Or do you mean kits that use pre-cuts, like layer cakes and jelly rolls?

Jeannette

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum. It's a great place to visit, to share and to learn.

I haven't seen any kits where the pieces are already cut for you, but have used kits that come with the necessary yardage and think they are terrific. No wandering the store trying to find fabrics that coordinate, standing in line for cutting needed yardage (and hoping to have it right). And the few that I have used, the yardage was cut generously, so even if I made a mistake in my cutting, I had enough to redo those few pieces. And if I didn't make any mistakes, then I had enough left over to make a baby quilt or wall hanging.

And as for precuts such as layer cakes, jelly rolls, etc.....LOVE them. It's wonderful to get a package that has a piece from the entire collection, especially when you only need a small amount of each piece. But I must admit, fat quarter bundles are my favorite as I can usually make several quilts out of them with very little left over.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyJnet View Post
    Hello! and Welcome When you say pre cut quilt kits, do you mean there are kits out there where the fabric is already cut up for you? Or do you mean kits that use pre-cuts, like layer cakes and jelly rolls?
    I do use the pre cuts however I am talking about the kits where everything is laser cut. Go to Everything Quilts. They have many laser cut kits. I find myself looking at quilt kits and passing if I have to cut anything but the binding and backing. They cost more but I have decided that my limited time makes it worth the cost. I'm sure it will be different when I retire.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I did see those lazer cut watercolor quilts at the quilt expo I went to. They are georgeous, but well out of my price range and skill/comfort zone.

I'm also more of a traditional quilt kinda gal, so even if I felt comfortable putting something that detailed together, I don't think it's one I would want to own. But that's just me, and I can certainly appreciate the work put into one by someone else.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Traditionalist here too. Tried precuts a few times. Don't care for them. Never had any desire to buy a kit at all, so no help there either. I LIKE cutting my own fabric, as well as choosing what goes together. Its part of the whole process that makes it mine.

Just because I am not one of the sheep, it does not mean I must be a wolf.

In this day and age we have WAY too many people, WAY too sensitive about WAY too many things and taking something that only deserves a "ho hum" response as a slight against themselves personally.

Thinking is difficult. That's why most people judge.

....................................Jung.......... ......................

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to have a laser cut McKenna Ryan kit but right now I have to stick with her patterns and cut my own. When I find that one die for quilt I will have to find the money somewhere so that I will know it will come out right. I especially love her ocean quilts but have done some of her mountain ones. And I pull the animals out to add to pictures I make for the cabin. They are always so realistic.
    Welcome from southeast Kansas

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum from Missouri. I don't make a habit of buying kits of any type, but succumb occasionally. I prefer cutting my own fabrics. I don't do much applique so no temptation there (at least for now).

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The only kits I've ever bought were for needle point or cross stitch. You might want to look on selling on Etsy too. It's pretty user friendly.

Welcome to the forum!

Lorie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum from Idaho!
    Rescued is my favorite breed.