Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mentoring for charity

Well, I've been thinking of contacting the "home ec" dept at the high school to see if I could come and do a modest quilt introduction class and get some your people interested in sewing quilts and donating them to the Shriners cause. And lo and behold, a customer came in and told me that she is in that dept and they are looking for a servce project for a group of 30 girls and that she would help me in the after school tutoring of these girls. We will show them how to cut out and assemble simple patterns and make baby and lap quilts and then, we will take the activity bus the 110 miles to the Shriners Childrens Hospital and let the girls donate the quilts that they make directly. I think this will be a new added adventure to the Shriner project.
    She said they didn't have the funds to provide the girls with fabric, but I assured her that some of those girls will have a grandma or mother or someone with scraps and I would help with some scraps and we could make quilts from what we had on hand. Plus, some of you have been so generous in donating fabric to my cause and I can share a bit of that as well.
    So, a great day. I will meet with her on Wednesday afternoon. That will give me time to assemble some sample, simple blocks to give the girls some ideas and let them get creative.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mentoring for charity

That's such great news! I was going to go through all my children's fabric for the do you want this group, but since they will be making kids quilts, they would be perfect for your project. When are you going to get this started?

Lorie

3. Thanks grammaterry, songbird857 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What a wonderful project! See how what you've started has spread? I'm so happy for you!

5. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like fun!
    I remember when sewing was taught in schools. Now that it isn't anymore, young people are being left out of this useful skill.

7. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

GENIUS! This effort just screams creativity and charity, among other things. I wonder if 4H groups would take projects like this on? Congratulations on continuing your efforts for the Shriners Hospital.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

This is an awesome idea! I have 5 1/2 yards to send you that I think might be fun for the kiddos to work with. Its a shade of blue. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7422.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	178.8 KB 
ID:	139351

10. Thanks grammaterry, songbird857 thanked for this post
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

So exciting to work with a young group of girls and they will see how rewarding their projects will be. You are a wonderful person to share your talents.

12. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kgirlmom View Post
    This is an awesome idea! I have 5 1/2 yards to send you that I think might be fun for the kiddos to work with. Its a shade of blue. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7422.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	178.8 KB 
ID:	139351
    What a cute backing this would make for some quilts too!!

14. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I did buy it to use as backing, but my 20-something daughters nixed the idea as being "lame". I think younger kids might like it, or anyone else, but not my kids. I think Terry will put it to good use... however she wants.

16. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rock-7[1].jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	139352
    What a great way to continue to help your favorite charity, AND to encourage the next generation to be creative and giving!

18. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post