Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sewing machine repair shop/dealer - love 'em or hate 'em?

I'm opening a sewing machine shop, and I'd love to hear your experiences, stories, and ideas. What do you love or hate about your shop or dealer? What services do you wish they would provide?
    Sheila

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sewing machine repair shop/dealer - love 'em or hate 'em?

When I have taken my machine in ( a dealer/fabric store) they have the clerk write down every thing you are having problems with. Non of them know machines, they just sell the fabric. Soooo I would like a sit down, like a doctors office to know what I mean. Then at pick up I want them to show me so I don't go twenty miles back home and the same problem is still there.

And scissor sharpening

Lorie

3. Thanks ssummers thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My local store only sells high-end (=big $) machines, but they also sell notions and since I love my vintage machine and have no interest in replacing it, I use to still go into their store for notions.

But sadly every time I went in, they tried to upsell me. The first time was very shortly after my Mother had passed away, and I had inherited her vintage Singer (that previously had belong to my Grandmother). Even though I told the salesperson how I came to own this old relic (as she called it), she still had the gall to ask "Well don't you think it's time to upgrade?" WTH?? that was like asking me to replace the two most influential women in my life.

This didn't happen just once, but three different trips to that store. Needless to say, I now drive 30 miles (one way) out of my way to shop elsewhere.

Someday, maybe, I'll want a newer machine that will do a bunch of fancy stitches and have some cool features, and someday definitely, I want to purchase a long-arm. But I will NEVER buy one from this store, even if they were the last store in the state. And I wouldn't send anyone to them either.

So moral of the story...Pay attention to what your customers are saying, don't push to hard, and never make a customer feel like they are less worthy just because they have an older model and are happy with it. Always remember: a happy customer is a returning customer.

5. Thanks ssummers thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both. This is excellent feedback! I really love the idea of sitting down with a customer like you would a doctor. And I would never, ever suggest that a vintage machine is inferior. I'm a featherweight owner and lover, and that's going to be one of our specialties!
    Sheila

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ssummers View Post
    Thank you both. This is excellent feedback! I really love the idea of sitting down with a customer like you would a doctor. And I would never, ever suggest that a vintage machine is inferior. I'm a featherweight owner and lover, and that's going to be one of our specialties!
    I'm so glad to hear that you will be providing service for the older machines. Locally, I have very few options as to where to take my vintage Singer. It's strange really, since these machines are easier to service, even if the parts are sometimes hard to find.

I know my mother had a guy (in Florida) that would actually make house calls for the machines that just needed a cleaning/oiling or simple repair, and even offered a pickup/drop-off service. There was a fee for this service, but it was worth it for many of the customers, especially the ones who's machines were installed in a cabinet (like mine).

8. Thanks ssummers thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with what was said above. do not like the "oh you should upgrade" or "the repair will cost xxx, for a little more(usually several hundreds more) you can upgrade". I'm not stupid, I am aware I can upgrade if I choose. I am having this machine repaired/ tuned up because I like what this machine does. Do not talk down to me.
    while your employees won't know everything about every machine they should be able to give out correct basic info.
    I had one tell me that "only Husqvarna-Viking made emb. machines, another, while demo-ing a mechanical machine insist the needle should go up and down rapidly while filling bobbin( when I questioned her about disengaging the clutch).
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

10. Thanks ssummers thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use a local dealer for cleaning or repair. The price is just too high for a basic cleaning & oil, I would hate to see if something was wrong.

Found a local man that does it, very reasonable on price. He contacts me when he figures out the problem with a cost break down before doing anything. I really like that.

12. Thanks ssummers thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of bad mouthing all the other brands you don't sell, sell me on the features of the machines you do sell. Offer classes to new owners to learn about their machine. Don't try to up sale me to more machine than I want or need. Offer a trade up policy so if I discover I do need more features I can easily trade in my machine. I've purchased a couple new machines because of their trade up policies. Smile.

14. Thanks ssummers thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

More great feedback. Thanks!

How much do you all feel is reasonable for routine cleaning, oil, and checkup for your vintage or simple, non-electronic machines?
    Sheila

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's neat that you are asking questions like this. Shows you care about the customer!

If its a long wait, could you offer a loaner machine? Some can't be without their machines if they are in the middle of a project and it breaks down.

Will you be selling new machines? Offering classes if you do? Customer support means more to me than a lot of gadgets or high end machines.

I think you need to look at your local area and see what price range works best for average income levels. A shop I like to go to offers interest free loans if paid off within a certain time frame.

But what really brings me back to the same store time after time are their big smiles and eagerness to help me find what I need.
    Vonnie

17. Thanks ssummers thanked for this post