Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Applique Angel

St Joseph, Missouri - about 50 min from M*.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sewing machine repair shop/dealer - love 'em or hate 'em?

I wouild love it if I could get on a list and be called a day or two before the shop is ready to work on the machine so that I could drop it off and just leave it for one or two days and then pick it up. I hate having to drop my machine off and wait one or two weeks for it for routine maintenance or minor repair. I understand if parts have to be ordered but for the six month chckup, it would be great to be told when the shop was ready for me. Or, for cleaning only, wouldn't it be great to drop the machine first thing in the morning and pick it up at closing? I drive 70 miles to the shop, so if I could do it as one-day round trip, well, I would definitely use it!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Can I ask what part of Colorado you are in? My dad worked for Singer, and then had a sewing machine repair shop in Colorado Springs.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I too would like a little more firm time frame for when they will actually work on my machine for a simple service. They tell you 2 weeks. It obviously doesn't take two weeks. The owners own several stores in our state so possible someone travels to the different stores to work on the machines. Having a schedule that tells them when they might be at my store would help me not to be without my machine for so long.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I will be taking my machine in for service next week. It has taken several calls to find a shop to service it. Some refused because it was not purchased from them. It will be a three hour drive each way but the person I spoke with was exceptionally polite, knowledgeable, and offered numerous suggestions and various time frames for service. Their set-up is a two hour appointment consisting of you speaking to the technician at or shortly after making the appointment about any problems you may be having. You sit down with the technician, go over your concerns and your machine is serviced and repaired at that time. You may watch or shop. You leave with your machine at the end of the appointment. Most likely I will leave with other things also is my guess! For these options I am willing to make the trip. They were booked four weeks out.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Question; You guys pay a different price for your electronic machines to be cleaned & oiled vs your non-electronic? If that is correct, I hope my guy never quits.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

If you are just starting out you might want to consider doing some home visits.

I have a semi-retired gentleman with 30 years experience that comes to my home. I pay a slightly more fee than if I took it to him but it is worth it not having to haul my machine to him. Also I can continue to use my machine as opposed to leaving it at his shop and then having to go back in a few days to get it.

He usually charges for clean, oil, adjustments, etc. $70.00 to come to me. Right now he is having a special of only $39.99 so I am having come over to work on my machine.

I wish you the best of luck with your new adventure and undertaking.
    Have a blessed day
    Pam[/I]
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There is a guy who goes to a few LQS each week and does minor repairs, cleaning and scissor sharpening. I love him. I think he charges $65 for non computerized machines to be cleaned. He's done with your machine at the end of the day - great service!

But I take my embroidery machine to the shop where I bought it. It's a small place that sells machines, thread, and notions and just recently got a few jelly rolls. I love them. They have their own in-house repair team and are truly machine savvy. When I bring my machine in, the clerk (who is most often the owner) writes down the machines problems on the ticket. If she needs some advice, she brings the repair guy out. He will then determine the severity of the problem and what the next steps should be - order a part, realign, etc. She gives me the ticket stub with an estimated date. I get a call when the machine is ready. I pick it up, but first I get a rundown of what was done and any other tips. Sometimes it's just the clerk doing this, other times it is the repair guy.

I often wonder too, why I have to leave my machine in their storeroom waiting to be fixed. Why can't they call me when they are free and I will bring my machine to them within the day or two? It would be nice to have some sort of a reservation system.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I applaud you for doing some market research in an absolutely great environment to get the info you need

I used to take my (now sadly deaden than a parrot in a Monty Python sketch) Elnita to "the old guy that fixes stuff" and he was awesome - Listened to me explain what was wrong, examined it while I was there and, whenever possible, gave me an idea as to what he thought may be wrong & about what it would cost to fix. A few times the problem was ME, lol, and he showed me what I was doing wrong, no charge (mis-threaded the thing, wrong needle size, goofy tension, etc). I think he charged about $125 for the basic annual cleaning & maintenance and, if he founds something wtong, he'd call me if thee would be a charge.

He lost his lease and retired

I loved going to him because:

He truly listened to what I was saying without interrupting me, and he asked questions to make sure he'd understood me.

He was a master at his craft - I'm pretty sure there was nothing about sewing machines that he didn't know.

His prices were worth every penny I paid him. I don't know if they were high, low or average (I have a new machine now & she goes in g I r annual service next minth), but I was happy to pay him.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Julie A View Post
    I wouild love it if I could get on a list and be called a day or two before the shop is ready to work on the machine so that I could drop it off and just leave it for one or two days and then pick it up. I hate having to drop my machine off and wait one or two weeks for it for routine maintenance or minor repair. I understand if parts have to be ordered but for the six month chckup, it would be great to be told when the shop was ready for me. Or, for cleaning only, wouldn't it be great to drop the machine first thing in the morning and pick it up at closing? I drive 70 miles to the shop, so if I could do it as one-day round trip, well, I would definitely use it!
    This is a great idea. Better yet, maybe I should let people schedule their maintenance like you would a haircut.
    Sheila

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ssummers View Post
    This is a great idea. Better yet, maybe I should let people schedule their maintenance like you would a haircut.
    That's a novel idea. I like that!

Lorie