Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fabric Store

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fabric Store

It doesn't look like a place to shop for me. It's just too crowded and jumbled for me to make any sense of it.

But.... if I was on a hunt for a specific fabric, this WOULD be the place to search. Granted, it would take time to hunt since it looks like there isn't any sign of organization in the store.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Faint of heart? No. Sensible. I would not be able to breathe with all the dust that has to be in that claustrophobic nightmare. I'll pass.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I have been there several times and it is not for the faint-of-heart. There is a second floor with fabric also but I stayed below. Last time I was there about a thousand potholders fell behind me. I had not touched them and the saleslady was not the least concerned. Acted like it happened everyday. Maybe it did. I spent the rest of that shopping day standing beside the door. FYI the fire department is just across the street.

4. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Once was enough! I think quiltingtrish loves Obie's.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Henstax View Post
    FYI the fire department is just across the street.
    That's pretty appropriate. lol

There was a thread about this store a couple of yeas ago. I had posted about the log cabin heart quilt that is in the article. A few members had said they had been there.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There used to be a shop similar to this around here in Wisconsin, run by an elderly woman and her Special Needs daughter, sadly the woman died and her "family" sold everything off. It was always a fun road trip but would not go there looking for something in particular. The prices were great!
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I went to a similar place called Over the Rainbow on Camano Island in Washington state but from your picture I'd say Over the Rainbow may be just as cluttered but a tad bit more organized. Over the Rainbow is predominantly an online store but opens to the public on Saturdays. I didn't know what to expect when I went - just heard through the grapevine that it was "an experience" and had "thousands of bolts of fabrics". How could I resist?

When I pulled up and saw all of the bolts of fabric laying down on top of each other stacked on shelves to the ceiling I thought I was going to love it. LOOK AT ALL THOSE CHOICES!!! I didn't love it. I was so frustrated because I couldn't see everything and was sure I was missing the "good stuff".

The workers indicated it could be very overwhelming for first-timers and recommended a break before I headed upstairs. Upstairs was CRAZY. Think an attic of a house. I literally had to duck down to shop the fabric in some areas and in some nooks had to crawl around on all fours.

I only walked away with about 2 yards of fabric. I will say though that the workers knew their inventory hands down. I actually found something online I liked, showed them the item and they found it for me in about 5 minutes about 6 aisles away and up a ladder. Unbelievable. In fact they gently encouraged me NOT to return unwanted fabric to a shelf so they could ensure it went right back where it was supposed to go.

Glad I went once for the experience. But I don't think I would ever go back.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Marshalls dry goods used to be just like that before they got the big store. I loved that place.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just looking at the pictures raised my anxiety levels. Not for me thank you very much.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post
    Faint of heart? No. Sensible. I would not be able to breathe with all the dust that has to be in that claustrophobic nightmare. I'll pass.
    I have my oxygen tank.