Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: An AHA moment

  1. #1
    Block Queen

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    webster, ny
    Posts
    144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default An AHA moment

    I hate wasting fabric and I have a gzillion scraps. I'm taking a FMQ class at my LQS and had been making practice quilt sandwiches - wasting fabric AND batting because what on earth do I do with all those sandwiches? Well, I had an AHA moment when I decided to use scraps to make scrappy potholders and practice my FMQ. Really, nobody sees them but me! I now have a LOT of potholders! No waste and I actually end up with something useful.

  2. Thanks songbird857, Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
  3. #2
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Kauai
    Posts
    21,680
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: An AHA moment

    I keep running across this one
    http://exuberantcolor.blogspot.com/2...e-details.html

    And I need some pot holders!



    Lorie

  4. #3
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    6,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: An AHA moment

    My daughter got a new machine and has been doing that to practice too. Me...I just trudge along and start a project believing that it will be okey. I practice as I go.

  5. #4
    Quilting Guru

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    183
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: An AHA moment

    I use practice sandwiches to make plate protectors to put between my good plates. They work great and I don't have to just toss out all those little sandwiches that I practice on before starting my quilting. I never thought of potholders, but it's a great idea.
    Patrice S

  6. #5
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    5,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: An AHA moment

    Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    I keep running across this one
    http://exuberantcolor.blogspot.com/2...e-details.html

    And I need some pot holders!
    You could do suares this way, sew together the squares after quilting and have a scrappy quilt. Easy process for small scraps.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

  7. #6
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Kauai
    Posts
    21,680
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: An AHA moment

    Quote Originally Posted by Kgrammiecaz View Post
    You could do suares this way, sew together the squares after quilting and have a scrappy quilt. Easy process for small scraps.
    But then it would look like squares, not like an explosion.



    Lorie

  8. #7
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,628
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: An AHA moment

    Be careful using them as potholders! You might need insulbright to keep your hands from being burned.

  9. #8
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    5,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: An AHA moment

    Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    But then it would look like squares, not like an explosion.
    Lmao. Well you just use a whole cloth and it will look like an atomic bomb went off.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

  10. #9
    The Guild President

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: An AHA moment

    Quote Originally Posted by cashs mom View Post
    I use practice sandwiches to make plate protectors to put between my good plates. They work great and I don't have to just toss out all those little sandwiches that I practice on before starting my quilting. I never thought of potholders, but it's a great idea.
    OMG... I have all these little 12 inch squares that I'm practicing on. We are moving across the countty this year and now ...forget the bubble wrap...quilted squares between the dishes.
    Thank you.
    Diana Grey

  11. #10
    Block Queen

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    webster, ny
    Posts
    144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: An AHA moment

    Quote Originally Posted by snippet View Post
    Be careful using them as potholders! You might need insulbright to keep your hands from being burned.
    Fortunately, I have a supply of Insulbright from another project that I've been using, so my hands are safe!

  12. Thanks snippet thanked for this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •